Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sick of trying to read the tiny display on the dash to tell me what gear I am in. I am working on a dashtop unit that will display the current gear using large digit displays. It is planned to have the following features:
1. gear display (1 to 6) but is customisable for any number of gears or gear ratios.
2. display of road speed or engine revs (user selectable)
3. display can be mirror imaged so it can be used as a heads up unit (HUD). This is experimental since I have not yet determined if the displays will be bright enough for this in bright sunlight. It should work OK at night.
4. Adjustable shift light
5. will get its RPM and KPH data from the vehicle OBD port and from this will calculate what gear the car is in.
Basic circuit design has been completed and printed circuit layouts done. Prototype box has been chosen. Next step is manufacture of the prototype. The big challenge will be the software but I have some willing helpers with this. Barry

·
Registered
253 Posts
i was confused about that tiny display when i test drove the gti at the dealer :D i asked the guy if i was in D before driving :p

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
THAT IS REALLY A GREAT IDEA. I WOULD BUY ONE. BUT THE BAD THING IS I DRIVE A STANDARD. BUT I STILL THINK IT IS A GREAT IDEA

·
Registered
253 Posts
if you drive a manual then you must like these!!!

A revolutionary product! This universal shiftknob with LCD display is not only good for looks: it also increases driving safety and helps reduce fuel consumption by up to 15 percent by means of an adapted driving style

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't need an LCD to tell me what gear I am in - that is why I got a manual because you know the gear by the feel of the stick. No taking your eyes off the road etc. Not sure how that would improve fuel economy - stupid thing probably flashes you when IT thinks you should shift. No thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
uncle dude said:
I don't need an LCD to tell me what gear I am in - that is why I got a manual because you know the gear by the feel of the stick. No taking your eyes off the road etc. Not sure how that would improve fuel economy - stupid thing probably flashes you when IT thinks you should shift. No thanks.
Yeah- I gotta agree, if you have to look down to see what gear you are in, you have issues. A shift light is one thing and a HUD display is another- but both of these keep your eyes on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, as OP noted, this is for DSG people. We don't get the luxury of feeling out our gear. I think this would be useful.

I thought about getting a manual, but I live in Seattle, land of the hills, so no thanks. My friend (who isn't local and drives a stick) couldn't even make it out of a parking space when I let him test drive. I'm glad I chose DSG.

OP: if you still need help with software, I might be able to help. Depending on the software though. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's impressive trolling. And on a new member, too. Here, have a cookie:

Anyway, for the programming, I wrote some PBASIC code that self-balanced a robot on a teeter-totter back in high school. That's about it for low-level. Now, it's mostly Java and c++. Any of this relevant?

·
Banned
890 Posts
OMG, a cookie teaser, chocolate chip no less! My gripe is like many other GTIers, that center computer display. Why oh why is it so hard to have it display MPH? (I don't have dual zone) My Boxster allows both! The mph dial is poor, hard to read. While I'm at it...can't the 'phone' button be activated? All minor....don't tell my fast I said these things!

·
Registered
842 Posts
clay57 said:
OMG, a cookie teaser, chocolate chip no less! My gripe is like many other GTIers, that center computer display. Why oh why is it so hard to have it display MPH? (I don't have dual zone) My Boxster allows both! The mph dial is poor, hard to read. While I'm at it...can't the 'phone' button be activated? All minor....don't tell my fast I said these things!
I think he speedo gauge is gorgeous.............the mph in the MFD is so 90's ;D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Haha. I think a HUD would be awesome...My only concern would be how "streamlined" it is. I would hate to jack up the flow of the dash... I think if it were somehow designed to integrate into the overall lines of the dashboard, that would be awesome...not sure on the engineering aspect of it though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's taken a while but the dash top display is now working. Will post some photos when I finish putting the display module in it's box. At the moment I am driving around with the bare printed circuit board mounted on a windscreen mount. The unit displays road speed or revs on a 3 digit display and current gear on a single digit display. There is also a shift LED in between the two displays. Operation can be either in direct view (where you look directly at the displays) or head up mode where the unit sits flat on top of the dash and reflects off the windshield. Unfortunately, the LED displays I am currently using are not bright enough for HUD mode in bright sunlight. Works fine at night and in dim sunlight. I do have some brighter displays I can try when I get the time. I should have some photos after next weekend when it is in the box. Barry

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Wow! I thought you were long gone! I remembered this thread, but good deal!! Throw us some pics when you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.