Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 16,000KM service recently after 10 months of driving and they told me my brakes are only 20% worn at the front and 15% at the back. For me this is good because in the past i would go through brakes like crazy. Which makes me think how much are these brakes to replace. If they dont wear that easily it means they are very good quality and probably very expensive.

Did anyone have to change their brakes yet?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I just hit 23000 miles and I am still going strong, but I also was wondering. The OEM pads I heard were supposed to be some kinda "low brake dust compound" or something, which in turn sacrificed performance. Anyone else heard this?
So I may not replace them with OEM, I'd rather stop shorter with upgraded pads, who cares about a little more brake dust?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
15/20% worn is a lot, isn't it? I remember they told me the brakes on my Jetta were worn that much when I sold it (sold it 1year ago and last did the brakes just before the Iraq war started). They said they need to be replaced at 30%.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think you are confusing 20% WORN, with 30% remaining.

I always change my own pads. I think the next time they are up, I'll swap for better rotors all the way around as well. I agree with BCruzin that I'd rather wear faster, but stop quicker. Life is full of trade offs. Same with tires. If you want tires that grip, get soft ones, but expect them to wear fast. If you want high mileage tires, get hard ones, but don't expect to hold the road.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Gunny said:

I always change my own pads.
Which pads are you thinking of replacing the OEMs with?

Anyone know who makes the OEM pads? (my guess is that the OEM pads are EBC Greens)
Anyone done SS braided lines and notice a difference over stock lines?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gunny said:
If you want tires that grip, get soft ones, but expect them to wear fast. If you want high mileage tires, get hard ones, but don't expect to hold the road.
The Contis kill that theory. They neither last, nor grip.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
^^^ ;D ^^^ My Nitto NeoGens come in today. So my continentals are currently leaving twin black stripes all over the city.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Paid 395 Delivered. 225/45-17's Right now they are locked up in my Apt Complex front office since they were dropped off while I was at work. I just spent 5 minutes staring at them thru the window. :mad:

DiscountTireDirect.com beats TireRack hands down if you just want tires. IMO

PS: didn't mean to hijack the thread. We'll take it to PM's now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dragon said:
Gunny said:

I always change my own pads.
Which pads are you thinking of replacing the OEMs with?

Anyone know who makes the OEM pads? (my guess is that the OEM pads are EBC Greens)
Anyone done SS braided lines and notice a difference over stock lines?
TRW makes the corners (rotors pads knuckle and I think the control arms). I use a "modified version" of their pads.

I saw in one of the threads a question about the e brake... it is mechanical, rides in the top hat, and is actuated by a wheel cylinder. I have pretty much toasted mine yanking on it to slow down without brake lights running up on cops.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know Brembo makes Gran Turismo Kits (big brake kits) for the MK V and they will soon have Sport Rotors (cross drilled or slotted replacement rotors).

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Kiss My Fast said:
I know Brembo makes Gran Turismo Kits (big brake kits) for the MK V and they will soon have Sport Rotors (cross drilled or slotted replacement rotors).
The GT kit stops you about 1ft shorter than stock. Save yourself $2k or so and replace the lines with SS lines, and new rotors.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dragon said:
Kiss My Fast said:
The GT kit stops you about 1ft shorter than stock. Save yourself $2k or so and replace the lines with SS lines, and new rotors.
Do the larger SS lines actually bump the stock caliper performance that much? I suppose it makes sense.....Hmmmm,

I feel a new MOD coming on

·
Registered
45 Posts
To be honest stopping distance is pretty much irrelevant because there are too many variables: type of tires, size and compound, type pads, weather and road conditions, passenger weight and most importantly type of driver. The Brembo GT kit is a 100% improvement over the stock brake system. If you were to measure the brake torque between the two you would see the difference. Plus the Brembo GT reduces un-sprung weight therefore increasing the vehicles ability to corner and accelerate (as well as decelerate) much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone is missing the point of a big brake kit. The purpose of a big brake kit is to some extent to stop faster but the biggest reason is to cut down on brake fade. While you may not stop any faster, in some cases you may even stop slower, you will keep stoping for a much longer period of time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
tboneus you are on the right track!!

croatian see below:
$2,595.00
$3,295.00

Two different types of front kits (different disc sizes). There is no rear GT Kit. Sport rotors will be released soon.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
tboneus said:
Everyone is missing the point of a big brake kit. The purpose of a big brake kit is to some extent to stop faster but the biggest reason is to cut down on brake fade. While you may not stop any faster, in some cases you may even stop slower, you will keep stoping for a much longer period of time.
You are correct^^^ and it really comes down that if you are taking the car to the track it may be worth the 3K.

SS lines will also help prevent brake fade. Normal rubber DOT approved lines after time will slightly expand when pressurized lines (especially if the fluid is near it's boiling point) causing a loss of volume. SS lines are usually made of a Teflon core then braided steel around it and don't expand.

Will they make you stop faster? Probably nothing negotiable other than under repeated hard braking conditions.

Fade also can be attributed to the type of pads that you use and the type of brake fluid and it's condition. If there is ANY air in the braking system's fluid- you are in for a not so fun ride.

Before ANYONE screws with braking systems: make sure as hell you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dragon, you are one smart mofo. I love the advise you always seem to give. I think when its time to do my brakes I am gunna go with EBC drilled slotted rotors and definitely some SS lines.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
I hit about 35k and the dealer told me my rears needed to be replaced but not the fronts. WTF?
So I bought the vw pads and put them on myself.

I was pissed because when I first bought the car I was driving it for about 100 miles when I got out and the rear wheels were Burning HHOOTT!!! like they were sticking. I mentioned this to the dealer.. they took it with a grain of salt. I have NEVER replaced the rears before the fronts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.