Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife tells me that I now own a boy-racer although I am 36 years old.

I admit, a lot of the Civics pull up to me and want to race me, but I don't give in to it. (Maybe I am getting old hahaha)

What are your thoughts: GTI, boy-racer: YES or NO - What age are you? - Am I too old for a GTI?

btw I just love my Fahrenheit - It's the first car I own that gives me this much Fahrvergnugen (remember the old VW commercials)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

I admit, a lot of the Civics pull up to me and want to race me, but I don't give in to it. (Maybe I am getting old hahaha)

What are your thoughts: GTI, boy-racer: YES or NO - What age are you? - Am I too old for a GTI?

btw I just love my Fahrenheit - It's the first car I won that gives me this much Fahrvergnugen (remember the old VW commercials)
I'll race them up to the speed limit... >:D That way when they pass the cop- he'll spill his coffee ;D

·
Registered
635 Posts
boy racer...lol we ddint buy the GTI for being something other than that..we love the speed we love the FAST...it brings out the FAST in us

·
Registered
106 Posts
29 years old here, not exactly boy racer... my wife drives it more than i do since i have a company car. BUT... it's still my baby and i love it and take care of it and make sure my wife shows respect to the GTI. I drive it on the weekends and during the weekdays as much as i can.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Be 25 in 2 months. I bought it because its a quick, quality, practical car. That doesn't make me a boy-racer. Makes me a connoisseur. O0

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
haha.. I think the GTI brings out the "boy-racer" in all of us, being 18 or 58... is that such a bad thing?

Speed
German Engineering
Practicality
Handling

By the way I'm 18.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's practical, it's fun, and I'm 40. Who cares what others think of us. Some will drag the Civics. I, for one, could care less. However, I did get the Revo chip in my Fahrenheit (#466) and it really brought out a little bit of devil in me. I love open onramps now. But it kind of sucks when you have to slow down to merge on to the Freeway.

Oh well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

btw I just love my Fahrenheit - It's the first car I own that gives me this much Fahrvergnugen (remember the old VW commercials)
yup, yer a mere child. :)

Me ?? I'm 53. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
spookertunes said:
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

yup, yer a mere child. :)

Me ?? I'm 53. 8)
I'm 40 going on 19 >:D ;D

Really, it's not a boy-racer, it's not a sports car... It's a wolf in sheeps clothing. O0

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am 45 and do not consider the GTI a boy racer car. I am so glad to see others of the 'older set' speaking up here. Most of the posts I read are from the 'youngins' lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
probably the youngest posting on here, 16...and i dont care if its a boy racer or not...i love it

and i agree with dragon, its a real sleeper

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think it is one of those cars that people of any age can enjoy, without looking too young or too old. The worst is the 40 - 50 year old guy getting out of his V6 Mustang - that is lame. I am 38.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feel 20 years younger when I get behind the wheel of my Fast. Case in point - I was driving on a mountain road recently, and I was quickly surrounded by a group of motorcyclists on super bikes. The bikers quickly passed me, and the drivers in front of us yielded on the narrow two-lane road when the saw the headlights in their mirrors.

I followed the bikers around the slower traffic -- it was quite the sight, a stream of fast motorcycles followed by one determined black VW GTI!

The look on the driver's faces was priceless. >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
uncle dude said:
I think it is one of those cars that people of any age can enjoy, without looking too young or too old. The worst is the 40 - 50 year old guy getting out of his V6 Mustang - that is lame. I am 38.
Or a Vette... ;D

No, the GTI is not the fastest car in the world. If I really wanna go fast- I hop on my bike. It's 0-100MPH times rank up within the top speed of the 5 most expensive exotics that most of us will never see.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't you hate the sight of a balding middle aged guy (usually with a 'trophy' wife sitting next to him) in a Corvette Convertible....AAAAAARRRGHHH

·
Registered
181 Posts
uncle dude said:
You are so right uncle dude. That's one reason why even though I like the lowered look, at 47 I prefer the standard height so I don't need help getting out of the car.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
psyclone said:
I feel 20 years younger when I get behind the wheel of my Fast. Case in point - I was driving on a mountain road recently, and I was quickly surrounded by a group of motorcyclists on super bikes. The bikers quickly passed me, and the drivers in front of us yielded on the narrow two-lane road when the saw the headlights in their mirrors.

I followed the bikers around the slower traffic -- it was quite the sight, a stream of fast motorcycles followed by one determined black VW GTI!

The look on the driver's faces was priceless. >:D
Be nice and leave some space- and if any of the riders looks like they don't know what they are doing (blowing double yellows, etc.) or are in jeans and tank tops- hang wayyyyyy back O0

I'm on a bike forum too- whodda thunk it? Last year a member, who rides a Honda VFR posted a video of what he was calling "schooling a squid" on a mountain road. It was him in his Mini Cooper, riding the ass of some poor guy who didn't know how to ride. It looked like the rider in front of him was starting to panic. All why he is narrating what crappy rider this kid was, etc. Mind you, this guy is in his 50's. I was pretty pissed and asked him- what would you do if someone did that and you were on your bike :mad:.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Great thread guys.

I'm 22 y/o and love my GTI, fits my personality perfectly.

Hey Dragon, what kind of bike do you ride...I ride sportbikes as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
im 20. i didnt just buy it for speed lol. i can def save some money and get a quicker car.. but not with the style reliability and gas mileage this little hot hatch offers. i bought mine for speed yes >:D. but the gas mileage safety and such def assisted me in making my decision

1 - 20 of 80 Posts