Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Glad to see this forum exists. I also own a 1997 Supra and have found these types of forums quite valuable.

My Supra is my weekend car. I have had a Volvo S80 as an everyday car for the last 10 years. When I began the search to replace it, I wanted a fun to drive car that came with a manual transmission option. After driving a Honda Civic SI, Mazda 3Speed, Suberu WRX and a MINI, I drove a 6 speed GTI. The rest was history. None of the other cars came close. Yesterday I placed my order for a 4dr base model in Red which was still cargo at the port with an expected delivery of next weekend. In speaking to the dealer they suggested a couple of dealer addons and I look to this forum for suggestions.

They suggested Ceramic Type Tinting for 299 (claiming that was already discounted) and 4 mud flaps for the wheels for $225. They also offered rubber mats. Am I better off going with these options at the dealer or outside the dealer? I also expect they will try to sell me a warranty. I never owned a VW before, but I typically have not purchased warranty's until the end of the manufacturers warranty period. Thoughts?? Any other advice regarding addons. breaking the car in, recommended wax, oil, base sound system upgrades with navigation, or any other upgrades would be greatly appreciated. Now that I will have a GTI, I guess my biggest question will be to determine the need to still keep the 1997 Supra Automatic as a weekend car. I am sure the GTI and Supra would turn out to be nice, red stablemates.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would check with VWvortex for the mats. Mud flaps is up to you. Don't quote me on this but I think there are more on here that don't have it then do. I would also look around and see if you can find them cheeper. I can think of better things to buy with $225. By the way congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I noticed in your signature numerous upgrades that you have applied. Where would one find out a new owners guide to identifying and applying upgrades to a GTI? Thanks

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I noticed in your signature numerous upgrades that you have applied. Where would one find out a new owners guide to identifying and applying upgrades to a GTI? Thanks
What Gti? a 2011?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Gratz on the new ride. Take advantage of the "Search" feature once you read over the guide posted above. Let us know if you have specific questions in certain areas and we'll be glad to help.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Tints seems over priced but it make the car look good and keeps it cool in the summer

I think u can find it cheap somewhere else. Don't know the advantage of the ceramic, guess it keeps the car even cooler

No on the mud flaps

Get a pioneer 7" nav system

Tapatalk This

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the replies. Spent 90 minutes at the dealer today wrapping up the deal on the 2011 GTI. We told the dealer we wanted RED or BLUE in a 4 door. They located a RED at the port in Galveston Texas and put a hold on it. That leaves me matching RED cars a GTI and SUPRA. Per the advice I received I declined the $250 mudflaps for now. I also declined a XZILON fabric and paint protector because of its price. I am curious what other have used to protect the fabric and exterior finishes of thier GTI's. Anyone have luck with a clear bra? They also offered after market leather for 1500 after I indicated I would have taken leather if it would be a standalone option. I declined that for now. Thanks again

While I have kept my Supra

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I love my leather. Mud flaps look horrid on a gti, and get the tint done for $150 or so at a shop. Wax the car to protect it

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I also declined a XZILON fabric and paint protector because of its price. I am curious what other have used to protect the fabric and exterior finishes of thier GTI's. Anyone have luck with a clear bra?
I basically went straight from the stealership to my local respected auto spa and had a "new car package" performed. Granted I could have done it myself and save some dough but time was of the essence (two young ones). They scotchguarded the interior, applied a synthetic paint sealer and tinted me out for 300$. The scotchguard is nice, really havnt had to "use" it yet thankfully, but the jurys still out on the paint seal though. He said I dont need to wax for 6 mos. but its not really beading to my satisfaction. Its been about 2 mos. now. I also considered a clear bra as well but am poo pooing it till I see one on another, preferably same color car in person.
Anyway you will LOVE this car congrats! Stick and search around here these guys know their sh!t!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the car will arrive at the dealer Monday, and after they prep and tint it, I should have it Wednesday.

The dealer tried to sell me a product called XZILON to protect the fabric and the finish. They wanted $350.00. I found the entire kit on an ebay auction for $65. My car is a base model. Need to make decisions around the sound system, mud flaps, door edge guards (colored), and anything else.

Found some passionate threads about what octane to use.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts