Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of converting my dsg 08 gti to 4motion like r32. But I have some questions. Before I start on a long mod like this I need to set a budget. And for the budget I need a definitive parts list? Can someone help me with the parts that would be needed. I have ETKA and can supply graphics etc, I also have a good mechanic and because I'm located in Europe I can get my hands on the parts fairly easy. But I can't find out what parts I need and if it would be easier converting the car using S3 or A3 2.0TFSI Quattro parts instead of R32 parts.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
you'll want to just pick up a totaled a3 2.0tq. That way any misc parts you may need are on hand. That's the best budget you can set...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a car is totaled in Turkey insurance company pays you the money and then sells the car to special companies that strip down the car and sell the individual parts. So its very hard to find a totaled a3 2.0tq. I first want to see what main parts I need to get lie gear box, suspension and stuff, misc bolts etc would be much cheaper and you can pick them up from the dealer as you go along the mod.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Well if that's the case, you'll need the transmission, the driveshaft, the entire rear subframe and pretty much everything bolted to it. That's a good start there, after that it'll probably be parts here and there to make it work. I know in the mkiv motors the motor has to be swapped as well because of how it sits in the engine bay, but you should be able to make it work...

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Are you doing this for the challenge, shyts and giggles? I'm not understanding the logic here.

I think your best bet is to find someone who has done this before, it may be more complicated than it appears, especially when modding a unibody.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have searched every vw forum and google for a mod like this. There are some ideas here and there but no one has done it. I'll check with my ETKA and upload graphics for both r32, gti and a3 2.0tq. Maybe you guys can collaborate on the pics.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Have fun, take lots of pics, should be very interesting

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If ya post pics I can help with what I see

·
Registered
888 Posts
why dont you just make it rwd, they did it with an r32 in the fast and the furious 3. swap that understeer for oversteer!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RWD is harder to control esp. in a city like Istanbul because of the traffic. And I don't want to lose traction when I accelerate. I'm also planning to upgrade the engine internals to S3 at the same time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK here are the first illustrations from ETKA. I crossed out my VIN but the parts in black are the original ones for my GTI. Others are for R32. (BTW if anyone needs helps for parts or vin decoding etc. I have full access to ETKA just pm me). Just tell me what else you guys need to see the illustrations for to help me.

By barane at 2009-10-02

By barane at 2009-10-02

By barane at 2009-10-02

By BaranE at 2009-10-02

By barane at 2009-10-02

By BaranE at 2009-10-02

By barane at 2009-10-02

By BaranE at 2009-10-02

By barane at 2009-10-02

By barane at 2009-10-02

By BaranE at 2009-10-02

By BaranE at 2009-10-02

By BaranE at 2009-10-02

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
That will really get you started with what you will need for the swap, after all that I'm pretty sure it'll just be small odds and ends here and there, everything looks to be there tho in the pics

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Oh, don't forget the rear hubs too! I see them pictured just wanted to make sure you didn't bypass those lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts