Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a 1.8t gti with a full tdi transmission swap.

I realize it will have lower gearing and decrease acceleration, but I am just wondering by how much. I'm trying to decide if the motor will have enough torque to comfortably drive the car. Maybe paired with a big turbo and a good tune this can be something fast and also good on fuel.

Sorry if this has been discussed on here before, but I tried searching and wasn't able to some up with much.... Maybe that should tell me its a bad idea :p

· That's how I Röhrl
3,119 Posts
I'm not expert, but I would say no, they are different power bands and there's a reason the two transmissions are different.

What is the purpose of this? Save on gas? Just do a full TDI swap. If you really want to save on gas, don't drive a vehicle with a performance engine, buy and oil burner or a hybrid (altho the price offset on a hybrid requires you to drive over 150k miles to recoup the gas savings, most people don't do the math on that, not to mention the battery replacement cost to get to 150k)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.