Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my mechanic buddy isn't available for the next week so I've got some questions to ask. How do I remove the muffler? Alternatively, how do I do a resonator delete. And if i was to get a new muffler (which I will be getting soon), do i need to weld the new muffler on? Or can I use clamps. Please be specific. Thanks a bunch

2002 GTI 1.8T

·
Registered
471 Posts
for the record, I wanna know the answer to his question too.

I was also planning on doing a res-delete + muffler upgrade aha

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
You can't find one cause it basically common sense

Cut it out and weld or clamp the new one on

Tapatalk This

·
Registered
471 Posts
aha well that makes sense. I was just kinda wondering WHERE exactly my res is and/or what it looks like lol. Cuz I only know where my muffler is :p

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
It looks like the muffler but smaller

Tapatalk This

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Are u going to do this urself? Get under the car its obvious

If u don't know where it is u should just take it t a muffler shop and tell them what u want

Tapatalk This

·
Registered
112 Posts
The three main items in your exhaust pipe starting from your down pipe are: 1) Catalytic Converter 2) Resonator 3) Muffler

So with that said, your resonator comes right before your muffler.

No, your exhaust diameter is 2.15 inches

Hope this helps.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
No, 2.25" IRCC

I don't know y you are getting offensive

Just saying what you should do.

90% of the people that work on their cars don't even have the tools to do it any ways.

I don't even do it, I just tae it to a muffler shop

If you are changing your exhaust look into changing the whole cat back and get a dp

Also do at least a 2.5"pipe

Tapatalk This

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh I always thought it was 2.15... I guess PG Performance is wrong. Mind you I suppose that could be the inner diameter. Thanks for the correction

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
get under it and youll see it between the cat and muffler, but idk why u wanna seeit soobad...You get it cut out than they put straight piping..takes 5min

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys. And sorry Volcano I'm just frustrated cause I can't find the answer anywhere. But I peeked under my without it being lifted up and couldn't quite find it between the cat converter and muffler. Does it just look like a smaller cat converter? I might straight pipe it. That'be oh so choice.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
kinda lookslike a second cat, i guess....full straight gonna be LOUD.i still have 2.5in magnaflow muffler, only loud when you go over 45% throttle

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. And sorry Volcano I'm just frustrated cause I can't find the answer anywhere. But I peeked under my without it being lifted up and couldn't quite find it between the cat converter and muffler. Does it just look like a smaller cat converter? I might straight pipe it. That'be oh so choice.
look through this, it has pics of everything you want.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3265525

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beautiful. Thanks a bunch. For now I'm just wanting to get a muffler only. I have one of those saws the guy uses in the DIY and i can easily get my car on ramps and jack stands. The problem lies in attaching the new muffler, I can clamp it, but welding would be better.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
that guy takes off his bumper everytime he goes on the ramps..I cant even get up and im stock height.lolbbq

1 - 20 of 22 Posts