Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take a second to introduce myself to the board, been lurking here for the last month or so reading everything i can because i am starting the process to purchase a 2007 Fahrenheit #1113.

This board has been a wealth of information and i am looking forward to getting and hopefully giving more useful information in the future.

Today i finally test drove the fahrenheit and i want to start by saying i have always been a diehard Manual transmission kinda guy, i always thought that having an automatic ( which i have on my 2005 Durango hemi - ironic i know but my fiance drives it the most ) transmission would NOT be fun. After a spirited test drive in the Fahrenheit i was wrong, completely wrong. The fact that you can shift down on the floor by just giving little nudges forward or back using it tiptronic style and keeping your foot buried to the floor just made me giddy with pleasure, the paddles on the steering wheel seemed awkward at first ( especially if you want to shift around a sweeper ( up or down ) so i quickly found a nice blend of using the steering wheel paddles with the floor shifter worked the best for me.

Another thing about this car, i have read alot lately about how its overpriced. I too had a bit of sticker shock ( this one comes in around 29k not including tax ) but after driving my Durango ( 39k suv ) and getting into the GTI ... fuggettaboutit ... ill spend 29k all day long for this kind of quality.

My last VW was an 86 Jetta ... i put 200k miles on that thing and the only repair was a faulty fuel pump. This car blows that one away in fit and finish, luxery appointments ( im 39 yrs old BTW - so i love that part ) and fun factor with the spirited engine. Its no mustang GT in terms of brute force acceleration...but this thing is Damn fun to drive, and puts an ear to ear grin on my face.

For those of you who think its overpriced, the reason you probly feel that way is because nobody likes to part ways with 29 grand. If i wasnt realistic about why im buying the car, i too would make justifications that its overpriced, doesnt have any performance upgrades for the Fahrenheit ( which it does have a sport tuned euro suspension btw over the regular gti mkv. )

My only gripe ( if i must make one right now ) would be that it doesnt have a little bit of a body kit on it, something just a touch more to set it apart from the rest - im not a fan of the black accents, but those can either be painted or they can grow on me ...we will see :)

now let the flaming begin and welcome me to the board properly :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
:WELCOME6: :WELCOME6: :WELCOME6: [flame]

[flame]

[hail vw]

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lynn

Thanks for the good advice on NV insurance, ill definitely do some more shopping around, Am Fam agent here told me Vegas is the #1 worst place in the country for insurance, i guess its the auto theft capital of the world. I live about as far outside of the city as you can get, but they have a license to steal so what are ya gonna do? Ironic... I have to buy insurance from a thief to protect me from one!

I would never own a Mustang GT- Blahh .. i already own a Dodge Durango, thats enough american automotive in my garage as it is. I have no doubts we will love this car, my kids are pumped on the orange color, my name is Tony and all my kids call me TOE for short... they came up with the TOE_FAST handle, maybe we will get personalized plates with it...haha and then my 14 yr old is already asking if she can drive it when she gets her license...HA ( keep dreamin sister ) I told her if she gets a job babysitting or something, we will match her on whatever she can save and we will go buy her a car ( she likes the rabbit or a jeep wrangler for her first car ) Before we had the Durango we had a Jeep Wrangler Sahara and she loved riding around with the top off in that.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
My only gripe ( if i must make one right now ) would be that it doesnt have a little bit of a body kit on it, something just a touch more to set it apart from the rest - im not a fan of the black accents, but those can either be painted or they can grow on me ...we will see :)

now let the flaming begin and welcome me to the board properly :)
You can't gripe until it's in your garage... The body kit is an option (I'd guess it's not available pre-painted for a Fahrenheit) But, a full factory body kit and a good set of coil overs-you'd be set.

Welcome to MFG! O0

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL

Can i gripe that its not in my garage yet?

The fahrenheit im looking at doesnt have a factory body kit, I like the kit that comes from the factory and I saw a few other threads that had aftermarket kits that looked allright, but some of them were a bit gaudy and not worth the price. I would most likely have a reputable body shop do a kit for me rather than the dealership. Personally i put more faith in a company that "specializes" over most dealerships.

I would like to put some Nuespeed sway bars in, and a few suspension mods, along with a CAI for sure along with an exhaust, but i really dont want to void the warrenty so i have to dig up the CAI and exhaust threads to see where i stand on warrenty voiding ( if i ask the dealership they will tell me any modification means void ) Stage 1 APR chip sounds fun, but again, have to look at the risk of losing a warrenty against the gains of HP and Torque.

I am a commercial photographer by trade, so when i get it you guys can expect alot of cool photos, i like to use creative lighting and scenic backdrops ( i live in Vegas so Valley of fire and Redrock pics will be coming when i get it. ) I want to do a slow shutter shot of the car moving at Dusk... like a half second exposure and then hit it with a flash at the end of the exposure so it looks like the car is in a time warp, it should be pretty cool.

If anyone is in or near Vegas and would like to do some photos like that, let me know, you guys can check out my website at www.TonyScavo.com

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its Official!

as of 4pm today Las Vegas time, me and my Fiance are the proud new owners of #1113 Fahrenheit.

Dragon, can i gripe about the body kit now that it IS in our garage? LOL

The purchase experience was the EASIEST of my lifetime, literally took 1 hour from the moment i sat down, till we were driving away in the FFast. If any of you buy a VW in Las Vegas, go to Desert Volkswagen and talk to Igor...the best Damm russian salesman on this side of the ukraine - he was a total pleasure to deal with.

The prep on the car was only "decent" though, i showed Igor and he promised to yell at the guy in the Service dept ( we were rushed to leave so were going back tomorrow to correct the one item that needs their attention )... things like some plastic stuffed into one of the back side pockets, the rear blue protective plastic was still on the rear dome light ( i peeled it off, no biggie ) the car came with Tinted windows ( after factory ) and there was a small sticker on the driver door armrest that needed peeled and cleaned off ( Igor fixed that in 5 minutes. And while in the service dept the one thing that irked me but is getting fixed tomorrow is a VERY tiny chip of paint on the rear bumper. ( it looks like someone dropped a key on it, its about the size of the tip of a pencil, almost cant see it but i scoured every inch of the car.

Otherwise the car was clean but some little spots on the rims that werent perfect ( can ya tell im anal yet? ) the car tires had spray on them and looked shiny and the exterior paint was washed to perfection, the interior was sprayed down and very clean, smelled perfect and everything works in the car as it should. we left the dealership with 76 miles on the odometer.

I took my two youngest children for their first ride in it after we got home ( Dava - 9 and Cruce -6 ) I put it in sport mode and revved about 3/4 way to redline for 2 gears and the smiles on their faces was worth the price of admission, when we pulled into the driveway Cruce was jumping up and down and was so excited i thought he was going to be the first 6 yr old to have a heart attack, screaming at the tops of his lungs - Danya and i just looked at each other and smiled real big.

I tried to show them the headlight washers but i havent figured out how to get those to work yet, im going to take the car and clean up the rims to my satisfaction and take it out to the desert tonight for a sunset photo shoot and post pics either later tonight or tomorrow.

I went with the rim protection and the Theft insurance ( if the car gets stolen and not recovered within 30 days, i get a check 2 weeks after that for 5 grand, plus the gap covers any out of pocket expenses that the insurance wouldnt pick up.

I went with Farmers insurance and im switching my Durango over to them and adding Home insurance, my rate with Am Fam was 120/month just for the Durango... now ill pay 209 for the Durango, the Fast and Homeowners. Im pretty stoked right now.

Thats it guys, im officially part of the club and very happy! When i was 20 yrs old i always wanted a GTI and i could only afford a used Jetta back then, now im living the dream 20 years later with a special edition car with Lamborghini paint, some things are worth waiting for :)

O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D O0

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Congrats- welcome to the club! :D

(You think you are anal- my brother insisted, when he got his 06, they leave on all the external paint protection plastic- so he could remove it himself!)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted these pics in the fahrenheit thread, but for those who didnt see the pics, here it is #1113

Quick shoot at my childrens elementary school, one flash - next time ill get more elaborate and get better images, the wheel photo is a different color because the flash was closer to subject and washed it out a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Okay... I know that this has nothing to do with this thread at all, but I hope I don't get any gripes because technically this thread shouldn't exist (Should be on the Welcome to MFG thread)... ;D

But, I'm really stoked that you're a photographer. That would be my dream job.. I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life. I was actually going to go and take pictures of my car tonight and when I got to the spot I realized I didn't bring my memory card.

1. What kinda camera are you using or prefer? I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

2. What did you study or what do you recommend I do to pursue a career in this field?

and

3. I thought I'd post some pictures I took. Some of these are already on here somewhere. :)

and my non-GTI pictures: k3c88.deviantart.com

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the errant post, if a mod wants to move it to the appropriate place i apologize for the mistake.

Photography, i have been shooting 22 years, right now im using a couple of D2X bodies (Nikon) have always been a nikon man, always will be.

I am self taught, took 2 years of it in high school and read, read,read,read, shot,shot, shot , shot my azz off.

Been shooting motocross/Motorsports for the last 7 years and now im venturing into comercial/studio/modeling/cars/product/sports etc etc here in Las Vegas. so far so good, good economy here.

Best advice i can give is study as much as you can, spend more time reading about photography than you do anything else and you will go places with it, find a niche too...specialize specialize specialize.

I like variety in composition, change it up and you will hit a chord with more people in your photography. Hope that helps, anytime ya wanna talk photo - shop...hit me up, Pz :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fast at 8,000 feet

I live 20 minutes away from this kind of scenery ( Mt Charleston - just outside Las Vegas ) The drive in is mostly straight until the last 7 or 8 miles, then you get lots of elevation change ( mostly going up ) and lots of curves ( its too bad the curves are 35mph speed limit )

When you arrive at the 7,000 foot mark the temp difference between here and the Vegas strip is usually 40 degrees and the smell of pine fills the air, hikes here make living in the hustle and bustle of Vegas almost surreal, if you didnt take this drive you wouldnt believe this kind of beauty existed so close to the strip. Some roads in the housing ( log cabin area ) are super steep and my orange Billy Goat was sure footed... right behind my fast in this photo is about a 700 foot drop in elevation to the next lower cut road, its kind of freaky driving up it, but fun.

Then finally you arrive at the upper parking area at 8,000 feet and you can hike another 2k past the timber line and up to the old bristlecone patches ( if you have that kind of stamina ) Nice cool air, Pine smells mixed with ultra fresh air make the trip alone worth it, but getting there in the Fast puts the icing on the cake, if you ever drive to vegas, i suggest coming out here to wander around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts