Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am looking for new rims for my GTI but I am low on money. I dont have over a 1000 to spend on rims. I am looking at these rims, the brand is called XXR. Most of their rims at 18'' are starting at 100. (http://www.xxrwheels.com/wheels.shtml) specifically these with the red deep dish (http://www.xxrwheels.com/sportmax_006.shtml)
or
(http://www.xxrwheels.com/sportmax_507blw.shtml)
or
(http://www.xxrwheels.com/sportmax_941.shtml)
or
(http://xxrwheels.com/xxr_525.shtml) with the black and red

My real question is do you think i can get away with these rims without them breaking in half after a week of having them? or would it be safer to save up for a while and buy more expensive rims?

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
I would wait and save up for some rims. O0 Just my personal opinion because I would wait to get the rims. You could always see if you could find a good set of used ones either on here or vortex for a good price and in good condition. Did you sell your stock rims?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I havent sold them yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
I would wait for those to sell and then buy some new ones but then again. It would be better to keep your stocks and then save up for a better set

·
Registered
732 Posts
MKVI stock wheels are way nicer looking than any of those.

If you really want a new look have the existing set powder coated black and accented in red. I personally think the multi-lug look is cheap. Plus if you just mod the ones you have than no worries about TPMS or swapping tires over.

Oh and it would still be cheaper than a new set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TPMS is a major issue that most don't think about. The rims aren't that bad...but we ALL want to be "unique". It's cool until you factor in whether the rims will take the TPMS sensors, and how much those cost...then, well, I'm diggin' the stock rims now! For me, I might want a set of "winter wheels" next year...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats TPMS? and I talked to my local store and he said painting would cost around 100 a pair and powder coating would cost a lot more so it would be very close in prize

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tire Pressure Management System. Sensors in every rim by the valve inc. the spare. You're good as long as the sensors are there with the same rims...and they don't screw up the sensors during the powder coating process. Take the rims (sensors) away, and the computer will complain that there's no pressure in the tires!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You really don't need the tpms. Just get a buddy to turn it off with vag-com and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Sensors in every rim by the valve inc. the spare. You're good as long as the sensors are there with the same rims...and they don't screw up the sensors during the powder coating process. Take the rims (sensors) away, and the computer will complain that there's no pressure in the tires!

Fixed

Don't cheap out on those XXR wheels. There are plenty of inexpensive, yet quality and stylish wheels out there to choose from.

www.wagen-wheels.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
You really don't need the tpms. Just get a buddy to turn it off with vag-com and your good to go.
That's cool. I can see I have a lot to learn about my GTI. Now I'll go and learn up about this vag-com thing! I'd like to be able to put winter wheels on and turn that little "helpful" TPMS on and off as needed. You're right of course...it's not needed for those of us who pay attention to our tires!

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's cool. I can see I have a lot to learn about my GTI. Now I'll go and learn up about this vag-com thing! I'd like to be able to put winter wheels on and turn that little "helpful" TPMS on and off as needed. You're right of course...it's not needed for those of us who pay attention to our tires!
I realized that I have a nail in my tire today b/c it was causing a slow leak which triggered the tpms. It was a rear tire so it wasn't even noticeably low but they are nice to have, even for those who are typically observant.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ya it has it's pros to it. But it's more of a headache if you have different sets of wheels. But I got a question. I just bought another set of wheels off a guy n they came with the tpms on them, will I get a light still when I put them on?

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
No you shouldnt. I recently have bought a new set of rims with TPMS on them and they will work fine. All they need is the sensor to please the computer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alright sounds good. Cause this weather is getting nice up here in pa. I might wanna slap the new wheels on soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Yeah Im going to slap my summer wheels on sometime next week as the weather here in Washington is better and seems to only be getting better. O0

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
BBS Brotha! Don't be cheap. Go hard or go home.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Damn global warming messing with our heads. Watch as soon as we put our wheels on. F**king blizzard

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Damn global warming messing with our heads. Watch as soon as we put our wheels on. F**king blizzard
True that. I just ran my 337 BBS RC's through the winter promising them some loving in the spring. I'll lay out $350 for some fresh powdercoating, just for my babies.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's what I'm dealing with now. I bought some lm reps. N the owner used them all winter so the clearcoat is shot. So I'm in the process of getting them repolished then gonna get them painted orange.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts