Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my GTI yesterday and noticed a screw in my rear tire. Great. Less than 5,000 miles and a flat already. After talking to the Firestone manager on the phone for several minutes, he convinced me that a patch would be better than a plug and they'd be super careful not to scratch my Huffs. Off I went. But when he looked at the screw he said it was too close to the outside, couldn't be patched, and I needed a new tire. I decided to take it to the Shell station down the street where I'd had many tires plugged to see if they'd do it. A new Conti would cost $250 at Firestone. I asked the teenager at the station if he could plug it. Sure he said and pulled the screw out. Sprayed some soap suds or whatever on it. No bubbles. Asked me if I had put air in the tire. No. He said the tire wasn't punctured and gave me the little short screw that he pulled out. No flat. No plug. No charge. What a relief.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I was washing my GTI yesterday and noticed a screw in my rear tire. Great. Less than 5,000 miles and a flat already. After talking to the Firestone manager on the phone for several minutes, he convinced me that a patch would be better than a plug and they'd be super careful not to scratch my Huffs. Off I went. But when he looked at the screw he said it was too close to the outside, couldn't be patched, and I needed a new tire. I decided to take it to the Shell station down the street where I'd had many tires plugged to see if they'd do it. A new Conti would cost $250 at Firestone. I asked the teenager at the station if he could plug it. Sure he said and pulled the screw out. Sprayed some soap suds or whatever on it. No bubbles. Asked me if I had put air in the tire. No. He said the tire wasn't punctured and gave me the little short screw that he pulled out. No flat. No plug. No charge. What a relief.
Are you worried that the screw weakened the tread? If it went in with no flat, I assume it was in the 'meat' of the tread.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It went in one of the grooves. It was a short screw and looked like there was just enough tread depth to keep it from going through the tire. But it must have stuck in a little. I wish I hadn't thrown the screw away so I could go back and get a good idea just how far in it went. I just happened to see it when I was washing the car. The wheel was in the right spot so that the screw was on top and it was shiny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts