Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody just got a black 2011 manual GTI and already know the first upgrade im making is APR stage 1 tune and an intake, but I was considering plasti dipping my detroits. I have seen them plasti dipped black and thought it was rather boring... what do you think about the gold or bronze plasti dip color? think it would look good? ever seen it? just looking for some input, thanks!

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey everybody just got a black 2011 manual GTI and already know the first upgrade im making is APR stage 1 tune and an intake, but I was considering plasti dipping my detroits. I have seen them plasti dipped black and thought it was rather boring... what do you think about the gold or bronze plasti dip color? think it would look good? ever seen it? just looking for some input, thanks!
Congrats on the new ride.
Yeah. Google image search Gold Detroits or Denvers. I found some pics of some Denvers and they look pretty good. It should give you a pretty good idea of what they would look like.
I was planning to gold dip my Denvers that I picked up for winter. It got too cold too fast here though. Next year...

...yet another drunk post.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
You can never go wrong with white! Personally I dipped my summer wheels white. They look great!

Any color would look good, just depending on what you want. Black GTI is easy to dip with colors since they all go with black.

Yup, go white, Sexy

· Registered
1,485 Posts
I say do it! Worst that could happen is you peel it off and start over! Here's a little eye candy for everyone...

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the new ride.
Yeah. Google image search Gold Detroits or Denvers. I found some pics of some Denvers and they look pretty good. It should give you a pretty good idea of what they would look like.
I was planning to gold dip my Denvers that I picked up for winter. It got too cold too fast here though. Next year...

...yet another drunk post.
should I not do the plasti dip when it is cold? not familiar with it, never used it before...

· Registered
1,284 Posts
hahaha white is always a safe color, and it always looks good, in this case. it looks great! hahah

· Registered
107 Posts
I think the BEST thing you can do with Detriots is.... take those ugly things off your car and buy a decent looking set of wheels. No matter what color you make them, they are still ugly. JMHO

· Registered
1,284 Posts
I think the BEST thing you can do with Detriots is.... take those ugly things off your car and buy a decent looking set of wheels. No matter what color you make them, they are still ugly. JMHO
What part of this is benefiting the original post? He is asking about plastidip. He's not asking if he should take them off. The Detroit's are a great looking wheel "JMHO".

sent from my own personal cellular device

· Registered
3,586 Posts
HOLY GOD you're still here?!

Way to recommend something that costs hundreds of dollars over $40 worth of plasti dip. Go away.

OP, sometimes people can photoshop what you're looking for if you post a side pic of your car and request for the photoshop'ed pic. Unless you have that program yourself.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
HOLY GOD you're still here?!

Way to recommend something that costs hundreds of dollars over $40 worth of plasti dip. Go away.
I don't think I have to ever seen a post from this guy I agreed with. And yes my thoughts exactly. He's still here?

sent from my own personal cellular device

· Registered
106 Posts
Wow, those white Detroits look amazing! Question for you though, how did you keep the inner black shiny? Did you tape it off? I want to plasti-dip my Detroits black, but I want to leave the inside of the rims shiny black. Thanks for the pictures!

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Wow, those white Detroits look amazing! Question for you though, how did you keep the inner black shiny? Did you tape it off? I want to plasti-dip my Detroits black, but I want to leave the inside of the rims shiny black. Thanks for the pictures!
Just a lot of work with tape!

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Really you just need to tape off the sections you dont want covered. but the trick to having a clean line with plastidip is making sure the dip is still wet when you remove the tape. So as soon as you do your final coat. peel off all the tape.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Really you just need to tape off the sections you dont want covered. but the trick to having a clean line with plastidip is making sure the dip is still wet when you remove the tape. So as soon as you do your final coat. peel off all the tape.
I learned the clean line trick the hard way. Never let the plasti-dip dry before taking the tape off!

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Oh wow. Haha. I tried it once and peeled it off AFTER it was dry. Guess I learned the hard way like you were saying :p
I learned the clean line trick the hard way. Never let the plasti-dip dry before taking the tape off!
Always peel tape when wet. Makes perfectly clean lines when plastidipping. Even to be safe, throw on an extra coat just to make sure its nice a wet, then peel. Works like a charm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.