Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm new to the forum & a new GTI owner. I tried to search for the answer but I wasn't successful so apologies if this is a duplicate.

There is a 3.5 audio connector in the glove box but I want to pull the audio cable through the back of the glove box and route it to a spot just under the center armrest. I don't want to leave my old iPhone (turned iPod) in the glove box because I can't control it from the stock head unit and I don't want have the cable dangle out of the front of the glove box, crimping the wire and getting in the way of passengers feet.

Is there a clear path from the back of the glove box to the center armrest that I could route the cable? I did a cursory attempt to run the cable but couldn't find a clear route.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Not yet. Is there a way to get from the center console to the back of the glove box? That would be the best option for me.
There's always a way. I'm not too familiar with the MKV but do some exploration. Shouldn't be too hard of a job, good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
l hope you find a way. Let us Know how it goes because l thought about moving my jack too . Just haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.
Actually, I did find a way. I should probably post pics but I'll describe it for now.

After removing the side panel adjacent to the glove box, I found an opening next to the 3.5 jack that led to behind and above the glove box, through where the vehicle manual is kept. I found a path to just in front of the cabin air filter hidden under the glove box (need to remove the foam padding to reach it). From there, I pretty much just shoved the cable to just under the lip of the center console by the carpet (passenger side) to the back. I was originally going to have it stay (mostly) hidden between the passenger seat and center console but found path to the compartment under the armrest when I removed the armrest in an attempt to repair the hinge (easy to take apart, not so easy to put back to together, at least for me...mostly fixed the hinge (by accident), just not the way I wanted). Now I have the cable come out from under the armrest. It's not the most elegant solution but it's better than having the cable dangle from the glovebox and getting tripped up by the front passenger.

**The armrest repair kit I got from ECS didn't fit. In fact, it was advertised for an MK5 but it is definitely NOT for an MK5. Need to return it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Actually, I did find a way. I should probably post pics but I'll describe it for now.

After removing the side panel adjacent to the glove box, I found an opening next to the 3.5 jack that led to behind and above the glove box, through where the vehicle manual is kept. I found a path to just in front of the cabin air filter hidden under the glove box (need to remove the foam padding to reach it). From there, I pretty much just shoved the cable to just under the lip of the center console by the carpet (passenger side) to the back. I was originally going to have it stay (mostly) hidden between the passenger seat and center console but found path to the compartment under the armrest when I removed the armrest in an attempt to repair the hinge (easy to take apart, not so easy to put back to together, at least for me...mostly fixed the hinge (by accident), just not the way I wanted). Now I have the cable come out from under the armrest. It's not the most elegant solution but it's better than having the cable dangle from the glovebox and getting tripped up by the front passenger.

**The armrest repair kit I got from ECS didn't fit. In fact, it was advertised for an MK5 but it is definitely NOT for an MK5. Need to return it.
Center console pathways are da best! Glad I could give a suggestion. Btw, nice use of parenthesis with parenthesis, you must have done some math in your day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts