Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 03 1.8t (tip) reprogrammed with the GIAC X+ software and I am noticing NO difference at all. No power increase, no shift speed difference, nothing. Am I missing something here? Had it done at an authorized dealer, they already went home for the night, but this is eating at me. Any Help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I'm hoping for. Unfortunately the dealer gave me no instructions, or support whatsoever. GIAC's site isnt that helful either. I didnt pay for the flashloader, but I read that you change the modes with some sort of remote. Anybody know about this? FYI this was done at Sporthaus in Reno,NV. Anyone in the Reno/Tahoe area I advise not to get it done here. Support and knowledge on this product so far has been sub-par.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well its supposed to be a GIAC program, from an authorized dealer. But so many signs point towards shadiness. Looks like a refund then a direct from GIAC order is whats gonna have to happen.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hopefully the Sporthaus will take care of this, if not, maybe a call direct to GIAC will give some sort of relief. Sorry man.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
On the 1.8t the GIAC is hardly noticeable.

Also- spoon- are you the orginal owner? Are you sure it wasn't done before?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Sporthaus this morning. Asked him what program he installed (hoping it was just a mixup and he accidentally put the "stock" setting on), and he didnt even know. Said he'd have to call me back. Not like its a big shop either. Its an exotic car dealership, him being the mech. So I'll wait for his call.

Yes Dragon it is was stock before the flash yesterday. From what I've read stock PSI on the 1.8t is about 7-8 psi. GIAC's program bumps it up to anywhere from 15 to 19 psi (from what i've read on numerous reviews and forums). That right there should be enough for at least a noticeable difference. If what you are saying is true though, looks like I'll be begging for my money back and head down to the bay and get the Revo program instead. I know it has always been a highly debated topic, but the reason I stayed away from Revo, is that most people say it screws up the engine.

Thanks to everyone for putting in their 2 cents though. Any info or suggestiong you guys have is great. I'm open to more too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dragon said:
On the 1.8t the GIAC is hardly noticeable.
I have the GIAC X+ and it is very VERY noticeable, and by far the mod that has made the biggest difference in performance on my 1.8t.

They charge extra for the "stock" programming that gives you the ability to switch back and forth with the flashloader, which is a little box that plugs into the ODB port. Switching takes anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds (which I find kind of strange).

Before installing an overoost valve I was peaking at 21psi. Now it holds a solid 19psi and is a lot of fun to drive. Seriously, go back to the dealer and politely ask "WTF??"
:)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Spoonman said:
Yes Dragon it is was stock before the flash yesterday. From what I've read stock PSI on the 1.8t is about 7-8 psi. GIAC's program bumps it up to anywhere from 15 to 19 psi (from what i've read on numerous reviews and forums). That right there should be enough for at least a noticeable difference. If what you are saying is true though, looks like I'll be begging for my money back and head down to the bay and get the Revo program instead. I know it has always been a highly debated topic, but the reason I stayed away from Revo, is that most people say it screws up the engine.

Thanks to everyone for putting in their 2 cents though. Any info or suggestiong you guys have is great. I'm open to more too.
REVO may have a 5 hour trial (they do for the MkV) for your car. Also, the torque gains should be very noticeable w/ a butt dyno. O0

If the Revo software screwed up engines- they'd be out of business. You just have to be aware of what parts are being "stressed" by upping the boost and up your maintenance/inspection schedule.

Standard Revo
bhp 150 190
Torque 160 225

·
Registered
3 Posts
Revo is cool too because you can change modes with the cruise control stalk (i think) and even reset a check engine light.

'03 1.8t is a 180 hp (at flywheel) motor, after getting GIAC X+, intake and exhaust I made these numbers (at wheels):

Do remember that your stock DV will probably be unable to handle the increased boost pressure, so you should invest in a Forge (or similar) DV as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for the help. I have already replaces the DV with a Forge Splitter BoV/DV. Love it. I actually put an electric boost controller on this past weekend, and now the difference is much more noticable. I running about 1.25-1.3 bar holding with spikes at 1.46. Exhaust gets done next week. Highflow cat on 3" downpipe and 3" straightpipes. Should be fun ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.