Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 02 GTI VR6 24V. I previously owned a 06 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Unfortunately, I am feeding into the stereo type about American cars and their lack of reliability. But I had nothing but problems with this car and was happy to get rid of it. I completely love my new GTI, the car is increadibly quick with awesome torque, steering, handling, and gas mileage. Interested in performing some engine modifications, specifically GIAC tuning with an Air intake. Just wanted to get some feedback on the performance increase with a new GIAC chip installed.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The 24 valve VR6 isn't going to see the large jumps in performance you might get from "chipping" the 1.8T or 2.0T. It is just the reality of the motor you run. Don't read me wrong, I love the VR6, it is a great platform. If you want big numbers, there is only one way to go....big turbo or even the supercharger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the feedback, the Vortex Stage 1 supercharger is close to 5 Grand. The manufacturer claims an increase of 80 horsepower. Being that I paid around $11,500 for the car, it seems like a lot of money and is it worth 5 Grand?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
NYCMIA said:
Appreciate the feedback, the Vortex Stage 1 supercharger is close to 5 Grand. The manufacturer claims an increase of 80 horsepower. Being that I paid around $11,500 for the car, it seems like a lot of money and is it worth 5 Grand?
Like I said, the 24 valve motor just isn't gonna get the big bumps from your average bolt on's. 5 g's for a 12K car would be out of line in my house. (Not because I wouldn't want to do it but the other half would never let me go downtown again!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.