My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions.

I was wondering if anyone had the GHL quad tip TBE, and what you thought about it?

How does it sound in comparison to other exhausts?

Since its 3", APR would be the best chip, correct?

One last question, why is it so cheap? $1.5k for a Quad-tip TBE? Milltek is almost 2k.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tibor said:
Just a few questions.

I was wondering if anyone had the GHL quad tip TBE, and what you thought about it?

How does it sound in comparison to other exhausts?

Since its 3", APR would be the best chip, correct?

One last question, why is it so cheap? $1.5k for a Quad-tip TBE? Milltek is almost 2k.
Well it's not on my car yet.......but I have it, and it's a Gorgeous piece of work, welds are amazing, it weights nothing.....solid, soild exhaust - much better then all of the ones I've had on all previous cars (and there's been A LOT).

I will have a bunch of sound clips, but I need the new bumper to be finished (at the paint shop) remember you can't get the quad, unless you get a new rear bumper skirt.

1.5k is not that cheap for a tbe, most cbe's run from 350 - 800 so you add on the DP....and there you go 8) Their normal dual TBE is very reasonably priced.

Chips are all up for debate, so you can go read up on it.......my performance shop agreed 100% with what my research yielded which was (note: I haven't driven any yet):
Apr - good, but way to conservative, minimal gains for the price.....perfect for the "reserved person" worried about engine wear and tear.
Revo - Aggressive tune, raw power, blows dv's quick.....LOL, great maps
GIAC - the tits....go buy it....perfect blend of everything

We have members that have each one, and big surprise everyone loves theirs....anything is a huge jump over stock so whatever you get will put that S eating grin on your face. Until someone I trust from here drives on all three, it's always gonna be a toss up and no firm answer of "which is the best" can ever be answered. 8)

I posted some pics in this thread:

http://myfastgti.com/vw/vw_gti_powertrain/apr_3_full_turbo_exhaust_installation-t2222.0.html;msg25706#msg25706

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10bv01 said:
BUT......

APR does best with a 3" exhaust, Revo does best with a 3" and GIAC does best with 2.5".

I think...
Which is why I asked. Ive heard bad things about GIAC+3".

And scans, you say APR is too conservative. Ive heard it too, but how much of a difference is it really?

BTW, thanks for the detailed reply ;D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tibor said:
10bv01 said:
BUT......

APR does best with a 3" exhaust, Revo does best with a 3" and GIAC does best with 2.5".

I think...
Which is why I asked. Ive heard bad things about GIAC+3".

And scans, you say APR is too conservative. Ive heard it too, but how much of a difference is it really?

BTW, thanks for the detailed reply ;D
Yeah......I still have some research to do, and I'll be testing them all once the exhaust is on.......I'll talk to my performance boys (who sell them all) and see what they say.....all I know is that I got this exhaust thru them and they still RAVE about GIAC...that it's the "only" choice....Ill def push the issue further

I would def go with Revo over apr if I had to choose for my 3''- but that's just me.......as for the difference - it can really only be speculation as the only true tell would be to have the same car, same setup dyno both and post the nubmers....i'd be willing to stab a 5 - 15hp range

if you get apr , rip it and love it, who cares :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
AWE did the big research project on GIAC vs. 3" exhaust.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/sha...5gj_20t_exhaust.cfm&PPT=Exhaust&IL=mk5exhaust

To summarize, with GIAC X-chip, they saw about ten extra horsepower with a 2.5" as opposed to a 3".
Yeah that's good info....if they did that much work to make an exhaust work with the GIAC, that says alot about what they think is the best chip. Now I gotta figure out with my 3'' GHL if I wanna loose the 10hp with GIAC or go with REVO...or APR....sigh

·
Registered
230 Posts
i know that APR definatley has one of the best reputations, my dad knows several people that have used APR chipping on various cars and he's personally raced on a car with APR software and he told me that if i was chipping my car "apr would be the way to go" (he's had 20+ years driving experience and im just trying to swallow up everything he tells me about this stuff). But i've also heard from several areas that the power outputs were in this order 1. being the highest power gains: 1. Revo 2.APR 3.GIAC. Revo i've heard is a very powerful software but i believe i read something from somebody who took the 5 hour trial and on another site someone who actually has it and that it has torque lag or something along those lines. But, I've also heard that GIAC is a very very good company, very reliable, i think it all depends on choice.

And the fact that AWE would fashion an exhaust with the specific GIAC software in mind like you said does say what they think is the best, but apparently different chips such as revo or apr work better with the 3" because of the less restrictive airflow

but i plan on taking the 5 hour tests with my car before i chip

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
if you think APR pushes more power then GIAC you are very mistaken. GIAC is the way to go in my book. O0. super reliable and cheaper then APR and more power.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
scans007 said:
BlueFrogPosse said:
AWE did the big research project on GIAC vs. 3" exhaust.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/sha...5gj_20t_exhaust.cfm&PPT=Exhaust&IL=mk5exhaust

To summarize, with GIAC X-chip, they saw about ten extra horsepower with a 2.5" as opposed to a 3".
Yeah that's good info....if they did that much work to make an exhaust work with the GIAC, that says alot about what they think is the best chip. Now I gotta figure out with my 3'' GHL if I wanna loose the 10hp with GIAC or go with REVO...or APR....sigh
I run GIAC and I was very concerned about the backpressure issue with the 3" APR exhaust I got. The answer is very simple, the "X" program is better for the 2.5" specifically. The "X+" program, which I got, is more adaptive and screams with the 3" TBE. You have to ask your installer to run the "X+", it's just that easy.

With regard to power and reliability; all three manufacturers have a good product and I won't knock any of them. Go with the product that the shop you trust knows in and out and can support. I love GIAC, I tried REVO and my ecu didn't like it so much; APR I personally didn't consider.

·
Registered
277 Posts
22350 said:
I run GIAC and I was very concerned about the backpressure issue with the 3" APR exhaust I got. The answer is very simple, the "X" program is better for the 2.5" specifically. The "X+" program, which I got, is more adaptive and screams with the 3" TBE. You have to ask your installer to run the "X+", it's just that easy.

With regard to power and reliability; all three manufacturers have a good product and I won't knock any of them. Go with the product that the shop you trust knows in and out and can support. I love GIAC, I tried REVO and my ecu didn't like it so much; APR I personally didn't consider.
Now that's what I'm talk'n about O0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts