My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
* Please note that this is for informational purposes only and I am not in any way responsible for any damage or other unforeseen circumstance either directly or indirectly caused by the following information. *

I should have been a lawyer! ;D OK...maybe not.

First off.....

If you are running a GHL Turbo Back Exhaust system you may have found that you get a check engine light relatively soon after the initial install. If you do, I advise you to take your vehicle immediately to someone with VAGCOM to identify any potentially serious issues with your vehicle.

Once you have done this, you may have the code that reads as such:

"001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0420 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON"

If you do, don't worry....your car is totally fine and no damage what so ever is occurring as a result of the source of the error code. The code is driven by an O2 sensor, most likely the one directly after the CAT. Essentially, the high flow CAT GHL uses lets more air through than the sensor is designed for. This in turn does not allow the sensor to get as hot as it is designed to be and it will not read correctly.

If you have a VAG, feel free to clear the codes so your CEL will shut off. You will need to install the fix fairly soon or you will see the CEL again in time. If you choose not to clear the codes for an extended time you will run the risk of the car going into "limp mode." Again...no harm is done....it's just freakin' scary when it happens and sucks all around.

If you have a different code...well, you obviously need to address that with the appropriate action for whatever that fault may be.

Here is a diagram of the fix, (If you can't read it, PM me with your e-mail and I'll e-mail it directly to you; if that doesn't work.....hit up Dragon, he can get a hold of me.) The part numbers correspond directly to items sold at Radio Shack. Just find the part numbers on the drawers and away you go. After you solder it all in, I recommend heat shrinking the entire circuit and perhaps even an application of a good RTV or polyurethane sealant. (These things do not like water.)

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the help. I am having the same problem with APR's RSC on my MKV GTI. I attempt this and see were it gets me.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts