Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name is kyle. currently i dont own a gti i have a 04 grand am gt instead, lately ive been looking at gti and just have a few question before i go test drive one, first i am probably looking to get 06-09 gti with a dsg auto. i have been looking at youtube and i was wondering that the different things like mkv meant and if a golf r 32 would be a better option. and i am also very tall , 6'6" how much leg room does the car have

·
Registered
556 Posts
MKV is how the 5th generation GTI is labeled. I drive a MKIV GTI, so a 4th generation model.

Leg room? Just go test drive one!

R32 vs GTI - One is AWD with a VR6 engine, the other is a 1.8t or VR6 engine with FWD. Choice is yours on if you want AWD or FWD.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
in your case the GTI would be a 2.0T which is for the mkv. the 1.8T is for the mkiv

as for the leg room, its just like dman said, go test drive it... but the gti seats are very adjustable so i dont think you should have a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Once you chip the GTI, the only difference between R32 and GTI is that one costs way more, doesn't look as cool, and has AWD.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
r32 just costs alot more $$, 6'6" should not be a problem I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room to sprawl, the steering wheel can adjust way up and the seats are very adjustable as mentioned. I'd suggest test driving both and you will see the GTI is alot of fun. It's a fun car with tons of power yet fuel efficent, stock Getting 30-32 highway and chipped getting the same. I ran 13.9 with a 6 speed manual stage 2 and I still get 32 MPGs :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea the gti caught my eye as soon as i saw it, does any one have a preference on the dsg or manual? ive never driven a stick and i like the dsg gearbox it seems really sick

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
dsg= faster, aparently more prone to failure? From what I've read
6 speed= pretty bulletproof, handle more power if you mod later on + there is no feeling like ripping thru the gears on a manual car.

just my 2 cents, but if you have never driven a stick you probably don't understand that feeling. learn on a truck or something easy first tho if you do learn to drive one. Clutches are expesive for the MKV :)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yeah, a car like this you gotta get manual, especially if it saves you a few thou. Then again, if you have no experience driving stick then you'll probably have more fun with the DSG.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Yeah, a car like this you gotta get manual, especially if it saves you a few thou.
maybe a few thou initally, but clutches start to add up....

Go test drive one and see what you think, obviously we're all going to be supporters of the GTI.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
so does $500 DSG maintanance and mechatronic units, don't forget DSG has clutches too.
thats if you do it not under warranty...i think the r32 does look better, so many ppl do the r32 exhaust and it looks good. also awd is nice too but modding wise the gti is better and offers more potential; thats why i essentially chose mine upon other reasons.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
thats if you do it not under warranty...i think the r32 does look better, so many ppl do the r32 exhaust and it looks good. also awd is nice too but modding wise the gti is better and offers more potential; thats why i essentially chose mine upon other reasons.
the service isn't covered under warranty, it is just like a oil change. how many clutches go out before the the 60k drivetrain anyways? even 100k?
A clutch can last you 100k miles, the DSG requires 2 $500 services in that time = the cost of a new clutch. Their is no telling how much it would cost to replace all those electronic parts in the DSG.. But I'm just giving the facts. A bulletproof 6 speed will hold up better than almost any automatic tanny. The DSG has not been tried or proven to me yet. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've never owned a manual, but I've driven a few here and there. I was close to getting the Mini Cooper S in manual before I test drove the DSG GTI and changed my mind. Unless you're specifically looking to buy and learn to drive a manual car, I think it makes more sense having the DSG as a daily driver with some fun on the side. I'm waiting until I have space for a track/weekend/fun car to get a manual.

·
Registered
556 Posts
DSG is boring. I would much rather go with the bulletproof 6 speed than an automatic. I will admit that the DSG transmission shifts quick, but it just takes all of the fun out of driving to me. Even stuck in traffic, the 6 speed transmission and clutch are super easy on you. I have the 5 speed since my GTI is a MKIV, but I never get tired in traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea its just the dsg caught my eye, like hobbes said. Im used to driving automatic it doesnt bore me, and the dsg gives me a chance to try something new, maybe after the dsg ill try a manual, but i think for everyday driving id like the automatic option

·
Registered
556 Posts
My first car was a 94 F-150, automatic. After 8 long years of keeping that going, I drove it 90 minutes away to the VW dealership in 2006, and bought my manual GTI. I drove my new manual car with traffic all the way home, and love it ever since. So DSG or Manual, you will enjoy the car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
today i was leaving a store and as i left I noticed a gti pulling in and i swung my car around and talked to him for a bit, he let me sit in his car, IT FIT ME, it was sick, he had a manual and he said he loved it, I might, he might have persauded me to get a manual

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
today i was leaving a store and as i left I noticed a gti pulling in and i swung my car around and talked to him for a bit, he let me sit in his car, IT FIT ME, it was sick, he had a manual and he said he loved it, I might, he might have persauded me to get a manual
great to hear, now you just have to test drive the hell out of them :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I both being retired pensioners have decided to come down to one car between us, I had a VW CC GT and she has a Toyota Corolla Hybrid and we have just ordered a new Golf GTi in King Red which should be here October/November time which should suit us both, I used to Rally Group B back in the day so like something a bit sporty and she didn't want anything too big, reading the various forums I think we will enjoy owning one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts