Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has done any experimenting on this...I know I saw one thread with it, but I wasn't sure if anyone had actually swapped out for it, or discovered it's limitations??? only 60 bucks too!! WHAT A STEAL....if it's worth it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm curious as well. Although, I'm still of the mindset you get what you pay for... Who knows though? What other cars run the G Valve stock, and what are their factory boost levels? That'd be a good starting point for determining its limitations.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, not too sure about that. The 08' GTI's have them...plus it's an OEM VW part, so no warranty or CEL issues. I think I'm going to buy one here
I just bought a forge dv, and it hasn't even come yet... But after reading all these negative posts, (something I should've done before I purchased it) I think I'll just send it back.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't speak for the others, but I've been running the Forge DV with the spacer and have had absolutely no problems. It's only been a little over a month, but still...that's no problems for a month strong!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FastAddict said:
I can't speak for the others, but I've been running the Forge DV with the spacer and have had absolutely no problems. It's only been a little over a month, but still...that's no problems for a month strong!
AHHH!!!! Why'd ya have to piss in my fruit loops....Seems like every time I make up my mind, I hear something that swing my decision the other way...thanks a lot FastAddict....jeez

·
Registered
5 Posts
banditscout said:
FastAddict said:
AHHH!!!! Why'd ya have to piss in my fruit loops....Seems like every time I make up my mind, I hear something that swing my decision the other way...thanks a lot FastAddict....jeez
Just my 2 cents

I live in Australia and my car has killed 2 OEM DV one which was at 15,000kms and the second one at 26,000kms not sure what that is in miles. I have had the car 18months and the mods that are on it are Carbonio intake, APR stage 1+ and APR TBE.

I have had software ver 1 and 2 and 2.1, the first DV died with ver1 APR software and the second one died with 2.1.

That is why last night I order the Forge DV to see how that is.
At the moment anything is better than me having to claim warrenty on DV every 10,000 - 15,000km's.
Oh an yes I have been able to get DV replaced with no problems from VW here in Australia.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Briss, how's Stage 2.1 compared to Stage 1? Noticeable difference? I'm sitting at stage 1 with a carbonio right now, but looking to take the next step pretty soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
15000 k is 12000 miles and 25000 k is 20000 miles, i live 1 hour away from mexico one mile is 1.25k
my dv is blowing to, just waiting for a beter verson of the oem one, th e oem is great its electronicly run not run by the air like the forge one, thats why there is delay

·
Registered
5 Posts
FastAddict said:
Hey Briss, how's Stage 2.1 compared to Stage 1? Noticeable difference? I'm sitting at stage 1 with a carbonio right now, but looking to take the next step pretty soon.
Let me first say that Aus GTI have got the Europen engines and ECU I have been told they are different to what you guys get over there in the US, not sure in which way they are just been told by a Oettinger and APR tuner dealer over here.
So all I am going to say that stage 1 software is much better here in Australia than stage 2 and 2.1

Here is the dyno chart which was created over 2 weeks of testing.

Here is the First DV I killed

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I'm going to repeat myself :D :

If you have a stock valve and no engine mods, the OEM diverter valve should be fine.

If you go up to Stage I (and all the other shiny bits/hardware) it's still pretty rare that the stock DV will fail. It happens, but it's not that common.

When it does go out, it usually starts as a small hole in the diaphragm and then the diaphragm becomes torn and you will loose boost. Depending how damaged the DV is, it will make a noticeable sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HoldDaMayo said:
when your DV goes out, does your car stop working altogether? or does it just function very poorly?
When the DV failed on me the Car would make a louder PSSSS sound when the turbo would spool up and also the car would go in to limp mode which you could see via VAG COM so the car wouldn't boost as much as normal.

Getting my second faulty one replaced under warranty next week. The Dealers here in Aus are APR Friendly.
When the forge DV comes I will be putting that one in place of the OEM.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's too bad about the stock DV's really...I wish that VW would've equipped the car with some stronger parts. Guess it just wasn't in the cards for us. Hopefully the "G" valve is a little stronger so that new GTI owners won't have to deal with this issue at all...chipped or not.

·
Registered
280 Posts
VW would never do that. They built the DV to handle stock parameters. They certainly don't encourage modding factory vehicles outside of official parts (evidenced by the hell official VW dealers are willing to put tuners through). Don't get me wrong, I love the vehicles VW puts out as much as the next guy, but as far as I'm concerned, automakers and, more specifically, dealers are just @#[email protected] suckers when it comes to having third-party fun with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah Very true Fast,
Thanks for putting it perspective for me. I just got my GIAC re-flash done tonight...it's INSANE, I had no idea what I was missing. However now the DV issue really hits home...driving home from AWE-tuning tonight was a little scary...I kept thinking to myself.."alright, when's this thing gonna blow out...NOW!!! nope...not yet...NOW!!!!...dang..." It just makes me nervous because none of us want our fasts to hurt :'(...So I'm on the fence over this issue...keep the stocker (but how long do I have?)...G series DV??? Or pull the trigger on the Forge and have some stability, but deal with some reliability issues....tough decision.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, just my $.02. I'm going to go ahead and say the G valve will probably be rated to handle higher boost levels than the previous two, but I doubt it will be up to the specs that the Forge DV (or others) are. Of course, it's significantly cheaper, so it may be worth at least a shot! Although, when/ if it does fail, you're out even more money...

·
Registered
193 Posts
my g valve seems to be holding up just fine..............aprstg2........... i had the forge kit in hand and decided to sell it...... i would rather replace the valve every 10k than to risk boost spikes to a mechanical valve.......

my stock valve was fine for the first 10k but i replaced it........no rips or tears

the bsh speed shop makes a dv kit that is similar to the setup on the mk4....heard nothing bad so far

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should post a link to this, "BSH Speed Shop" so the rest of us can parouse XXXFAST!!!! Don't be greedy now!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where can I get info on this Forge DV? Is this a type of DV or a Make? scuse my ignorance..

I think this is exactly what issue I am having ever since I dropped new software.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts