Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a stock 2001 GTI 1.8T

It's been running fine to my knowledge, but my check engine light came on recently. The guy at the shop says that the codes were related to it running lean/rich and a drop in vacuum/pressure. They ran a smoke check on the system and there were leaks throughout almost all the hoses.

He said that it's very common for the hoses on the 1.8T motors to degrade over time and require full replacement, which he recommends for my car. I generally trust the shop, but since the car seems to be running fine I wanted to get some peace of mind before I shell out hundreds of dollars on hoses.

Have any of you come across this issue??

Thanks!
Mike

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Hoses always deteriorate, it's on every car.

If it's leaking, you must change it or fix the leak by tightening the clamps if it's possible.

You can do silicone hoses, they will last a lot longer and look nice.

Check ecstuning.com or Mjmautohaus.com

From my Note 2

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey All,

I have a stock 2001 GTI 1.8T

It's been running fine to my knowledge, but my check engine light came on recently. The guy at the shop says that the codes were related to it running lean/rich and a drop in vacuum/pressure. They ran a smoke check on the system and there were leaks throughout almost all the hoses.

He said that it's very common for the hoses on the 1.8T motors to degrade over time and require full replacement, which he recommends for my car. I generally trust the shop, but since the car seems to be running fine I wanted to get some peace of mind before I shell out hundreds of dollars on hoses.

Have any of you come across this issue??

Thanks!
Mike
I'd take this opportunity to get some nice hoses from ECS tuning or ESE tuning. Pretty up your engine bay while remaining functional. I have an 02 1.8t and I had the very same issue you're having a little over a year ago. Hoses always need replacing over time. No biggie. Easy fix.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd take this opportunity to get some nice hoses from ECS tuning or ESE tuning. Pretty up your engine bay while remaining functional. I have an 02 1.8t and I had the very same issue you're having a little over a year ago. Hoses always need replacing over time. No biggie. Easy fix.
I have had this issue as well. My breather hose (both the Y and the connectors) were completely dry rotted. (pieces fell right through my hands and crumbled).
I would do as these guys are saying and just replace what is needed. All hoses wear away after a wile. But some nice silicone hoses will last for a wile and pretty up the engine.
Just my 2cents. I still have to replace my coolant lines as well. So wiles your down replacing hoses. Look around for other broken lines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am with everyone else. Replace as many as you can now or you may have issues with each one as it ruptures and that will not be fun. Those stock hoses took 11 years of heat and pressure so this isn't entirely abnormal.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Or if you plan to keep the car a long time, get braided hose to outlast even silicone kits. Look into a EVAP/ Emission delete as well. Takes more than half of the cluster fck of hoses in front of and under the intake manifold completely off the car. Runs about $40 for the necessary block of plate, and maybe another $100 for the resistors to not throw codes(all made as plug in's now). Look at Integrated Engineering for their SAI block off plate and resistors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts