Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all first post and I just was wondering what fuel type everyone was using?

I have heard that some use 87 and others swear by 91 octane.

The only problem I see is that as the price of gas increases, the amount of people actually using 91 will diminish and that the premium will start getting "old".

How bad is using 87 or even 89?

And what about octane boost??

I haven't even taken delivery of my MkV and I have tons of questions for all you drivers......

Thanks ;)

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
You will lose a bunch of power if you use 87 or 89 - 91 is the recommend gas type for all engines with a turbo.

Using 87 won't kill your engine, but it is not recommended.

91 is only $2-$3/tank more.

I have a question myself for others: is it OK to use 100 octane in a non modded engine?

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
i have been filling her up with 91. got 93 only once, randomly came up on it. did not see any difference, that i could notice anyway, but then again, who is to say it wasnt 91 in there? if you really want to know how the fuel grades compare. drive on 91 or 93, whichever is your states norm. then get a gallon of 87, see if you like that. then try a gallon of 89. i need to get gas, thats gonna cost me $46, for a full tank. im pissed. but if it keeps my fast happy, who am i to deny her?

100 octane, now, that sounds like fun.

·
Banned
890 Posts
If your going to bother with & pay for octane boost, why not just pump 'super'? I've used both, reg & super, can't really tell a difference. An article by the Click & Clack guys about a year ago mentions that with todays technology the biggest difference is in you wallet.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
jeez....always 93 for my fast. then again, I'm running the GIAC 93 octane program...I should probably just stick with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
93 all the way no matter what the price

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input all....

I'm trading in my Red Nissan Titan crew cab for the GTI and it only wants regular unleaded but it requires A LOT of it!!!

It only gets 14-16 MPG and it has a 28 gallon tank.... that's an $84 fill up from empty @2.999!!! Although it has a very nice Fast... 305HP - 280 at wheels, it's not a slow poke.

I am SO looking forward to the "REAL" Fast....... Can't wait till tomorrow it had better be there. They already have put it off from Friday.... and the weather here is not supposed to good in the morning... We'll see what happens 8)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
BTW!! Using anything less than 91 in our cars is NOT RECOMMENDED by VW. Using a fuel that has a less than recommened octane rating can result in Detonation!!!!! Be VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS!!! Just hope you guys realize you're chancing it to save 2-3 bucks!!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I personally just put in super wherever I go...93 is at $3.47 per gallon here so I suffer from "empty wallet" syndrome.

If its good for my fast I must do it

Since 93 has a higher hydrocarbon concentration, it doesn't burn as fast and gives you better milage...In the end, it averages out to the same.

thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
446 Posts
here in jersey super is only $3.05

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hmm I have a love-hate affair with New Jersey...

I LOVE the gas prices, but I hate the fact that some one has to pump gas for me...what if they chipped the paint off the car and I didn't notice right away???
this is why i all ways stand outside when they pump my gas or i open it myself just ask they will let you

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I personally just put in super wherever I go...93 is at $3.47 per gallon here so I suffer from "empty wallet" syndrome.

If its good for my fast I must do it

Since 93 has a higher hydrocarbon concentration, it doesn't burn as fast and gives you better milage...In the end, it averages out to the same.

thats my 2 cents
thank you for the precise explanation!!! This is exactly why you shouldn't put regular in your fast. TO PREVENT DETONATION!!! Which to my understanding is when a cylinder detonates early, and screws up the timing and so on which = bad for your fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.