Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting, so hope I'm doing this correctly. Went to fill up my tank last week and couldn't get my fuel door to unlock and open. Luckily had a VW dealership 2 miles away. They said my fuel door actuator had failed. It was $374 to replace! Since my 2015 GTI has only 37,000 miles on it, they did the job with a discount for $321. I called VW corporate a little upset and they are going to cut a check for 75% of the charges, so I'm at least getting something back. Definitely not a good feeling when you can't fill up your tank while running on empty. The only way to open the door would have been to break it, which is bothersome that there isn't a fail-safe to get it open. If it was a Sunday on the highway somewhere, I would have been screwed! I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this fuel door actuator fail. If so, they may issue a recall. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Yes I had one fail on my Seat Leon (effectively the same car) again a couple of days after I had bought it. Luckily I am an auto electrician so I could install the new one myself (however it is quite easy!).

There is a fail safe on some VW models, I’m not sure if the MK7 golf is one of them, in the boot behind the access panels of the liner there’s a yellow handle that uses a cable to release the flap.

German over engineering at its best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts