Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am screwed. Bought a car I can't take back to Canada and now I'm stuck. (due to Gov't regulations for the 2008 Model Year)

The car has about 300 miles on it and will have about 900 by the end of the weekend as I have to go home. Will pretty much deliver it myself to anywhere in the USA.

I paid 24K for it, willing to let it go for 22K or B.O. I am not selling to the damn stealerships.

Will also trade for 2007 Model

Anyone interested in that trade?

For pics go here:

http://myfastgti.com/vw-gti/my-fast/new-'08-black-magic-t2739/msg34417/#msg34417

Cars.com ad: http://www.cars.com/go/search/search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=99&criteria=AFFILIATEADID-2884977%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending&aff=national

Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330173559329

Anyone interested?

PM me or call me at area code six 4 seven 292 1539

or emale: pjalali[at]prophix[dot]com

Specs: Black Magic, 4-door. Premium Sound and Sunroof. 17" Denvers. 1000 Miles

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Re: FS: 2008 GTI Sunroof/ Premium Sound BRAND NEW

DAS FAST said:
So I am screwed. Bought a car I can't take back to Canada and now I'm stuck.

The car has about 300 miles on it and will have about 900 by the end of the weekend as I have to go home. Will pretty much deliver it myself to anywhere in the USA.

I paid 24K for it, willing to let it go for 23K.

Anyone interested?
Damn... Have you tried calling the dealership and ask if they know of a way to help you? As in either find a way you can get the car north or a potential buyer?

·
Registered
842 Posts

DAS FAST, my heart goes out to you. You should indicate the colour and wheels etc.

What about Paintballman - he was looking to buy? Maybe PM him.

·
Registered
446 Posts

why cant you take it with you?

·
Registered
842 Posts

thedudes said:
why cant you take it with you?
There is another thread on that topic. Poor guy bought it before the Canadian government updated their list of cars that are okay to import, and not okay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dealership said title cannot be reversed so it's now a used car.

Transport Canada are being completely unreasonable. They stated that since VW USA informed them the 2008 GTI does not meet Canadian safety standards (although 2007 does).

the only that has changed structurally/non-cosmetically was the 15mm reduction in Ride Height, so I said I would put stock 2007 suspension on it.

The response and I qoute: "It doesn't matter what you do, don't spend your money because we are proceeding according the statement made by the manufacturer".

Here's the kicker also, in the fine print of the Admissible Vehicles to Canada in fine print it says "List subject to modification without notice"

Love government.

One final request from me...Does anybody know if it is possible to get a driver's license in ANY U.S. state without a SSN. If I can do that, then I will title the car in that state since I can get a license.

Cheers,

·
Registered
809 Posts

Shit, thats a sucky situation dude.

Here in California they hand out licenses like candy. Illegal immigrants can get a license no problem. Come to California, not a citizen, we'll give ya a license anyhow. LoL

For your situation I wouldnt care, but titling it here might be a bitch, as it has to have 3500 miles on it or somethin like that, so maybe California wouldnt work for ya. Crap, sorry I cant help anymore than that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

But the key is SSN...do I need one in AZ?

I have family in AZ so I would love to do this in AZ....I don't think without an SSN its possible..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original Post Modified:

Now accepting trades for a slightly used 2007.

2007 GTIs are acceptable for import to Canada so I am willing to trade my 2008 for a similar condition 2007.

Any takers? [help]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts

DAS FAST said:
Dealership said title cannot be reversed so it's now a used car.

Transport Canada are being completely unreasonable. They stated that since VW USA informed them the 2008 GTI does not meet Canadian safety standards (although 2007 does).

the only that has changed structurally/non-cosmetically was the 15mm reduction in Ride Height, so I said I would put stock 2007 suspension on it.

The response and I qoute: "It doesn't matter what you do, don't spend your money because we are proceeding according the statement made by the manufacturer".

Here's the kicker also, in the fine print of the Admissible Vehicles to Canada in fine print it says "List subject to modification without notice"

Love government.

One final request from me...Does anybody know if it is possible to get a driver's license in ANY U.S. state without a SSN. If I can do that, then I will title the car in that state since I can get a license.

Cheers,
I know someone with an 06 who would be interested in swapping suspension (if this would solve your issue). PM me if interested.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts

WAS FAST said:
But the key is SSN...do I need one in AZ?

I have family in AZ so I would love to do this in AZ....I don't think without an SSN its possible..
No SSN necessary - my friend is from The Netherlands and got himself a AZ DL two years ago (unless they changed the law since then)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The laws have changed and from what I can tell in pretty much every state you either need a SSN or proof of lawful presence (i.e. work visa, extended tourist visa, etc)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts