Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i get the hot damn license plate frame off in the front? it looks like it has 4 "plug" looking things connecting it to the front bumper, so im thinking that it has those kind of expanded tips on the other side, meaning ill have to get inside and underneath the hood maybe? anyways any advice or if anyone has done it and can give me the skinny that would be cool! O0
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I don't know how to take it off. Ours did not come with it installed. I just want to say thank god you are taking it off! It looks so sexy without one. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I wish i could do that but no. Here in Illinois its against the law to not have a front license plate, even though i was able to drive around for three months without one before finally getting a ticket for it. Stupid 5-0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The four plugs just pop out of the frame with a flat head screw driver. They don't actually pop off, they just pop up and there is a clip attached to each one that will fall off along the inside.

Thats how i took mine off. You are left with holes but they are not very noticable on my Black Magic paint. I will eventually have them filled in but for now it looks good.

I did the same thing on my Porsche Boxter S last year and have completly forgotten about them. Don't get me wrong, it does not look as good as when the holes are filled in but depending on how much you hate the front plate, it might be worth it to you.

Im also in Illinois and have been skatting by without a ticket. Knock on wood. ^-^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
All I can find in Google is that it is still mandatory. Can you post up where you got your info for it not being mandatory in California anymore? Thanks. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
GTI BOB said:
here in california front plates are not manditory anymore. but mine came with it. how the hell do you take it off?
I don't know where you heard that from ::)

Ca Vehicle Code:
"5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear."


So unless you were issued one plate, like a motorcycle or a trailer, both plates are required by law.

I have to laugh cos someone is gonna get pulled over and say "I heard it on the internet that you don't need front plates now" to the cop LOL :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
damn i couldnt find anything to prove that the law being lifted. i guess ill put the bracket back on then. new car, plates havent came in yet. but after taking the brackets off theres four HUGE holes on the front bumper, usgly as hell, i dont think i can live with those. lol so i dont really mind having the front plate after all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
They should allow, as an alternative to a regular front plate, a Euro plate on the front that says your two letter state code followed by your license plate number. Just to look cool. Would serve the same purpose as a regular plate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Thalo said:
They should allow, as an alternative to a regular front plate, a Euro plate on the front that says your two letter state code followed by your license plate number. Just to look cool. Would serve the same purpose as a regular plate.
I found the front plate I want... but I'm sure the highway patrol wouldn't find it funny :'(

http://www.grtpl8s.com/images/customers/FUCKING-MOVE.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Dragon said:
Thalo said:
They should allow, as an alternative to a regular front plate, a Euro plate on the front that says your two letter state code followed by your license plate number. Just to look cool. Would serve the same purpose as a regular plate.
I found the front plate I want... but I'm sure the highway patrol wouldn't find it funny :'(

http://www.grtpl8s.com/images/customers/fwordING-MOVE.JPG
Broken linky. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
mistyz23 said:
Dragon said:
Thalo said:
They should allow, as an alternative to a regular front plate, a Euro plate on the front that says your two letter state code followed by your license plate number. Just to look cool. Would serve the same purpose as a regular plate.
I found the front plate I want... but I'm sure the highway patrol wouldn't find it funny :'(

http://www.grtpl8s.com/images/customers/fwordING-MOVE.JPG
Broken linky. ;)
linky works if you change - the censoring broke it: put in the the real "fword" LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I live in Jersey and I had to order my gti told them i wasn't gonna take it if it had the licence plate bracket on it! I'd rather come up with some lame excuse on why i don't have one rather than ruin my bumper with an ugly plate!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
NOFRONTPLATE said:
I live in Jersey and I had to order my gti told them i wasn't gonna take it if it had the licence plate bracket on it! I'd rather come up with some lame excuse on why i don't have one rather than ruin my bumper with an ugly plate!!
You're from Jersey---- put your F.O.P. sticker on and they won't notice the front plate is missing ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
NOFRONTPLATE said:
Dragon said:
You're from Jersey---- put your F.O.P. sticker on and they won't notice the front plate is missing ;)
I wish i had an F.O.P. sticker they don't give them to people with 9 points ;D
LOL! 9 points? :eek:

BTW- I used to live down the shore...
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top