Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's that for a descriptive header?!? ;D

Anyhoo as the topic states, it has happened a couple of times, I'm at a dead stop then go to perform either a 90deg or 180deg turn "quickly". The car feels like it almost stalls, the ESP like flashes and I go nowhere quick for a couple of seconds.
IDEAS?

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's what ESP does. With the accelleration+turning, at least one of your drive wheels is losing traction (inside, front) and ESP is cutting the power to compensate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's good to know it's not a serious issue, but I am shocked at how much it actually does :-\

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
think bout the money ur saving in not having ur tires been left all over the road as u peel out

·
Registered
6 Posts
um. i actually signed up to this forum just to post this..

if it starts blinkin it means its off..:mad: i hit a few turns rather quick myself and it started blinkin and my baby kind of chugged a bit. noooooooo i screamed as my foot let off the gas..

but realized a few months later what that little glorious button does..

dunno what ESP really means, but i call it the fun button..

turn it on and behold its glory!! if you apply the right amount of throt you can actually cancel centrifical force

ever hit a 20mph corner at 70?:D:eek:

and still got some foot in it?

thats what i call panty droppin fun!

i mean jaw droppin :cool:

·
Sir Drives em all
294 Posts
um. i actually signed up to this forum just to post this..

if it starts blinkin it means its off..:mad: i hit a few turns rather quick myself and it started blinkin and my baby kind of chugged a bit. noooooooo i screamed as my foot let off the gas..

but realized a few months later what that little glorious button does..

dunno what ESP really means, but i call it the fun button..

turn it on and behold its glory!! if you apply the right amount of throt you can actually cancel centrifical force

ever hit a 20mph corner at 70?:D:eek:

and still got some foot in it?

thats what i call panty droppin fun!

i mean jaw droppin :cool:
Default setting on all passenger cars is ON from start. Unless you disable it yourself it stays ON (barring any mechanical failure). When you push the ESP button it turns OFF which disables the automatic yaw control as well as traction control. In some cars that I drive you can actually drive full throttle around the entire racetrack without ever lifting. It takes a little masterful wheel cranking going into turn 1, but it's possible. I HATE any type of stability and/or traction control systems, but they save thousands of people's lives every year during street accidents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Default setting on all passenger cars is ON from start. Unless you disable it yourself it stays ON (barring any mechanical failure). When you push the ESP button it turns OFF which disables the automatic yaw control as well as traction control. In some cars that I drive you can actually drive full throttle around the entire racetrack without ever lifting. It takes a little masterful wheel cranking going into turn 1, but it's possible. I HATE any type of stability and/or traction control systems, but they save thousands of people's lives every year during street accidents.
i got squeally around this corner once. the Electronic stability control light was on and did exactly what Wikipedia says it was supposed to do.:cool: the Electronic stability control light only blinks when the g force is too much for it the suspension to withstand..

do you know what a z rating is?

·
Brings The Ruckus
6,854 Posts
i got squeally around this corner once. the Electronic stability control light was on and did exactly what Wikipedia says it was supposed to do.:cool: the Electronic stability control light only blinks when the g force is too much for it the suspension to withstand..
No.... ESP senses when your tires loose traction and it cuts power, i.e. peeling tires at launch & turning to fast

·
Sir Drives em all
294 Posts

"g force is too much for the suspension"? Are you jumping it?

I think I read about a Z rating once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"g force is too much for the suspension"? Are you jumping it?

I think I read about a Z rating once.
jumping? you mean where you hit the gas and left off hit and let off?
no jumping. heres an example..

as i drive to my friends house there is a corner that is rated with a yellow sign marking the safest speed as 35mph. i hit it at 70mph, 65+mph all day but 70 was the fastest. swear on my life.. wheels were screamin and i drifted out of my lane at the end, but it was still at 70. i couldnt hit that corner that fast without the ESP light on. esp stiffens the suspension so it can take the additional load, otherwise the suspension is too soft and bounces and THEN cuts power.. if it is already on it doesnt blink.

z rating is for tires. the best rating for g force as far as i know. very low profile, but worth every bump

ill get a video and youtube it, my tires are bald:( so i cant do it this weekend, but i promise its comin

·
Brings The Ruckus
6,854 Posts
esp stiffens the suspension so it can take the additional load, otherwise the suspension is too soft and bounces and THEN cuts power.. if it is already on it doesnt blink.
No, no it doesn't, you have to read more, we don't have coilovers or an airbag suspension stock, nothing in our suspension to be electronically controlled, it's springs (coils of metal), shocks (air, metal, and pllastic), struts (metal & plkastic) and if you want to count the sway bars (metal) nothing is electronically tightened or loosened, esp cuts power with wheel spin, and if your dealer told you otherwise he f*cked you hard
P.s. Ironically enough the esp light beig on means it's actually off

·
Registered
6 Posts
How's that for a descriptive header?!? ;D

Anyhoo as the topic states, it has happened a couple of times, I'm at a dead stop then go to perform either a 90deg or 180deg turn "quickly". The car feels like it almost stalls, the ESP like flashes and I go nowhere quick for a couple of seconds.
IDEAS?
yea...clik the button so that the light is on. you shall enjoy your car in a whole different way

and no armchair quarterbacking plz. if you cant try it for yourself dont try explaining what someone else says it does

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, no it doesn't, you have to read more, we don't have coilovers or an airbag suspension stock, nothing in our suspension to be electronically controlled, it's springs (coils of metal), shocks (air, metal, and pllastic), struts (metal & plkastic) and if you want to count the sway bars (metal) nothing is electronically tightened or loosened, esp cuts power with wheel spin, and if your dealer told you otherwise he f*cked you hard
P.s. Ironically enough the esp light beig on means it's actually off
the dealer didnt tell me anything about esp. i learned what it meant with trial and error. what is your basis for argument? youre fluffing your argument to hide your fear of being wrong. trying to give me a huge long explanation about what esp does. look it up...it may be true whatever you think. who gives a **** really. drive through a corner with the light on and then try the same corner with the light off. is there a difference or not? i can tell you in my car (05 GLI) there is. not a passat. not a beetle. not a gti. 05 gli. whats the difference? who cares. but i can hit a 35 mph corner at 70. and i CAN prove it.

and if you havent tried it...
shut your face until you do

and whoever the keyboard coward is..
do you read everything you believe?

·
Registered
336 Posts
:p...they may be what it means on OTHER cars, but on ours it's just has to do with keeping the wheels from loosing traction....Read your manual....

·
Brings The Ruckus
6,854 Posts
the dealer didnt tell me anything about esp. i learned what it meant with trial and error. what is your basis for argument? youre fluffing your argument to hide your fear of being wrong. trying to give me a huge long explanation about what esp does. look it up...it may be true whatever you think. who gives a **** really. drive through a corner with the light on and then try the same corner with the light off. is there a difference or not? i can tell you in my car (05 GLI) there is. not a passat. not a beetle. not a gti. 05 gli. whats the difference? who cares. but i can hit a 35 mph corner at 70. and i CAN prove it.
and if you havent tried it...
shut your face until you do
and whoever the keyboard coward is..
do you read everything you believe?
Hahaha I can't believe you're trying to get into such a loosing argument, yes I've tried it, esp on and off, only reason it works better off is because it lets you keep power the entire time, as for the gli only different thing about that car's suspension is that it sits about 1" lower then base model jetta's/gti's because it has dif. sprigs, just like the 20th anny. gti and the 337, sorry if my long logical explanation confused you. So basically following your line of thinking upgrading to an Aftermarket susp. like coilovers, bags, spring/shock/strut combo, would make esp useless huh? Until you can come up with facts I think it is you who needs to shut their face.
And if throwing facts and knowledge into an argument......... you must be wrong often, I can just see how well this argument is going for you, good job
Esp = adjusting suspension hahaha more like you =

·
Brings The Ruckus
6,854 Posts
and no armchair quarterbacking plz. if you cant try it for yourself dont try explaining what someone else says it does
I don't know if you'e figured this out yet, but most people on here know a hell of alot more than you, it would do you good to shut you mouth and listen every once in a while, you may learn that esp doesn't control the suspension, there is no difference between ram air and cold air intakes, 3" exhaust piping is the best, and that BOV's aren't bad for these engines

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.