Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just wanted to see if anybody else had one. just got mine yesterday, and installed it today. the directions sent with the valve where great as far as install, but nothing on adjustment. i've got this ratcheting sound if i loosen it, then when i tighten it, it doesn't blow off very much. anybody got any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

ps i asked the same question on another forum and got blown off for being dumb or a newbie to VW. hopefully you guys don't do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
newbie05 said:
hey just wanted to see if anybody else had one. just got mine yesterday, and installed it today. the directions sent with the valve where great as far as install, but nothing on adjustment. i've got this ratcheting sound if i loosen it, then when i tighten it, it doesn't blow off very much. anybody got any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

ps i asked the same question on another forum and got blown off for being dumb or a newbie to VW. hopefully you guys don't do the same.
What motor/type of VW?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MKIV 1.8T. my bad. also thinking about the turbo timer. but after just doing the search, i was also wondering is it just the MKV that has the cool down mode stock or does the MKIV's also have this feature? i do a lot of city driving, in 100 degree weather with high humidity, and would like to save my turbo.

thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I don't know the 1.8t well enough to give you good advice on the splitter or if the turbo has an oil recirc system...

I will say this on the turbo: If you run it hard and shut it off (or have run it more than an hour- like a road trip)... let it cool down for 1-3 minutes at idle before shutting it off. If you are the kinda person that is in a rush or is always late, get a turbo timer. I always forget when I go to a gas station :D All the turbo timer does is let it idle for you.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It sounds like you got the adjustable blow off valve and spacer...correct? You say splitter so I'm not sure what you are referencing.

If it is the adj. version, you get to loosen it to the point where you like the sound. Keep in mind that the 1.8T will have the same "run rich" issues as the 2.0T when you use the atmosperic blow off, so try to temper your desire for sound with the health of your engine.

The 1.8T does not have a recirc system. Get the turbo timer and have it installed professionally. O0

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
22350 said:
It sounds like you got the adjustable blow off valve and spacer...correct? You say splitter so I'm not sure what you are referencing.

If it is the adj. version, you get to loosen it to the point where you like the sound. Keep in mind that the 1.8T will have the same "run rich" issues as the 2.0T when you use the atmosperic blow off, so try to temper your desire for sound with the health of your engine.

The 1.8T does not have a recirc system. Get the turbo timer and have it installed professionally. O0
The splitter is similar to forge dv but w/o the use of spacers (it's got a twist knob to adjust) IIRC.

Turbo timers: HKS?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks for the kind info guys. it's actually a diverter and bov. it sends half the air back to the intake just like stock and half to the atmosphere. the adjustment on it is not for the noise, it's for different boost pressure levels. ie how much boost do you run. if you want it to blow off at 10 psi, then it will hold boost till 10 psi and then leak off the rest, then when you let off the gas it recirculates half and blows the other half off. now the turbo timer issue, i'm not in a hurry most of the time, but i do A LOT of city driving and commuting. so it's frequent stop and go and cut off and cut ons. so i was wanting a timer so i could run in somewhere and not worry about having to let it idle. i wouldn't neccessarily say i'm in a hurry, but the time that it takes me to sit and wait for a minute at each stop kinda stinks. but when i'm not at work it doesn't bother me. sorry so long guys, but i'm new to the turbo world. (besides diesels). so any advice would help. thanks again in advance,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that's cool. i just made an intake for it too. it's almost exactly the same as the p-flow. i used some intake pipe from my last car, some aluminum sheet metal, and k&n filter. looks exactly like the p-flow and i can tell a difference from one run down the street. ;D ;D ;D

later,

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
newbie05 said:
that's cool. i just made an intake for it too. it's almost exactly the same as the p-flow. i used some intake pipe from my last car, some aluminum sheet metal, and k&n filter. looks exactly like the p-flow and i can tell a difference from one run down the street. ;D ;D ;D

later,

Did ya fab a heat shield for it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i just got done. that's what i used the aluminum sheet metal for. as soon as i find my camera i'll post some pictures. i just gotta figure out what to do with that hose that connects to the airbox. i have it zip tied up where it's supposed to go now. (i'm not driving it, it's just being held there while i finish the heat shield/box.) but i'd like to see some pictures of some mkiv with a cold air intake or any intake for that matter. i've been searching for them to no avail. and i've found a turbo timer, APEXi, for 105 shipped. so if i can't find anybody with any problems with them i'm probably gonna get it.

later,

·
Registered
747 Posts

Is this what you are looking for? I think this is an MKIV engine bay correct me if I'm wrong

***edit***
Sorry I cant find any shots at a better angle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah thanks man. i did almost the same thing. thats what i wanted to do i just can't figure out where to put the filter. well to be exact, i can put the filter in the fender well, but routing the pipe to the fender well is what i can't figure out. oh well some more time and i'll have it. so far i've spent 50 bucks on the filter, and 6 bucks on the pipe, and the heat shield was free (i made it from some scrap aluminum i had laying around). thanks guys for all the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted to comment about the Forge Splitter DV/BOV. I have this with a Neuspeed Race Series CAI, and I love it. Sounds awesome, and no CEL. No regrets so far.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i was looking at that DV/BOV, and it seems to me like you would losing valuable boost, for a BOV sound. Does it divert half, and blow off half?

·
Registered
171 Posts
the way i understand it is that its only helping not throw a code not hurting boost. i have asked about it too. you can make it quiet as you want or loud as you want. this website might helphttp://www.velocityfactor.net
if anyone finds this same dv on another website cheaper let me know..would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
687 Posts
well i talk to a VW specilist on this, and he asked me what i want performance, or sound. I told him Performance, then he said go N-75 all the way.
So unless you could give a S*** about performance, get a N-75

·
Registered
171 Posts
an n75 isnt a bov or dv ask boosted he had both...look up n75 on the internet and see what it says.....its shaped totally different.....hey i may be wrong but i dont think so..lemme know what you find

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
An N75 reads the boost levels from the MAF sensor in the intercooler piping. The N75 regulates from there, how much boost to run from the wastegate. The ECS N75 Will allow more boost (1-3psi) over the stock N75, allowing for more boost to the MAF sensor in turn creating more boost to the intake mani. This will not throw any codes. I still have my N75 sitting in front of my keyboard...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts