Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading European Car and saw that APR made their own DV. The question is, would the APR perform as well as the Forge? The APR is attractive because of the nearly $100 cheaper pricetag... not saying my GTI doesn't deserve the best or anything, but just saying that I would like to have something more than ramen noodles while in college for the next couple of semesters. But... the Forge DV is so shiny!!!

Feedback will be greatly appreciated O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
first of all, the forge doesnt perform good...i was waiting months for it to come out but when it finally did i heard so many problems that i actually delayed chipping my car just to wait for a new DV and save my $250...where did you get the info on the APR DV? i heard about it but havent gotten any info...send a link. or just post all the information you can on here it would be great. id MUCH rather go with APR than Forge. as for the Forge being shiny...im sure being "shiny" really helps the turbo and helps keep out boost leak :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK... here's the link: http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/r1.html

Check it out... apparently it's for all applications, not just the MKV.

And as for the shiny-ness, it's said that they add bling but not quality... lol... I was joking on the shiny part anyways... I just wanted to get it because it said that it wouldn't throw up CEL's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Lami13 said:
OK... here's the link: http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/r1.html

Check it out... apparently it's for all applications, not just the MKV.

And as for the shiny-ness, it's said that they add bling but not quality... lol... I was joking on the shiny part anyways... I just wanted to get it because it said that it wouldn't throw up CEL's
thats not made for our cars..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
there is an apr diverter valve for the mkv and it was in the 2.0t tuning guide in the european car magazine, the edition with the audi tt mtm's rear on the cover...august i believe but i'd have to check the magazine at home to verify... i don't remember it plugging in though how the forge does(electrical connection)...... and on a side note/question..... if the forge one isn't that good (which i was hoping it was).... what is a good diverter valve/bov for our cars..... Dale
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
b said:
there is an apr diverter valve for the mkv and it was in the 2.0t tuning guide in the european car magazine, the edition with the audi tt mtm's rear on the cover...august i believe but i'd have to check the magazine at home to verify... i don't remember it plugging in though how the forge does(electrical connection)...... and on a side note/question..... if the forge one isn't that good (which i was hoping it was).... what is a good diverter valve/bov for our cars..... Dale
Dale- there are already a few threads here discussing different BOV's and DV's (and the differences). The $250 Forge is the closest to "plug and play" with the 2.0FSI motor and will under most circumstances not throw error codes or cause the check engine light to come on. There is a 20 page debate over on Vortex on the Forge and it's short commings.

AFAIK there is no "golden diverter valve" on the market as of yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
I've had the Forge DV in my GTI for the last 2 months with no hick-ups. It was a very easy install...only took about an hour. I have a NewSouth Boost Gauge and I noticed right away that it was holding boost a lot longer (it wouldn't spike and drop off like the stock DV). I have nothing but good things to say about this DV. It's by far one of my favorite mods....I just ordered the Forge FMIC and Neuspeed's Hi-Flo Turbo Discharge pipe so we'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
are blowoff valves illegal in the us???

"In the United States, Australia and Europe cars featuring unmuffled blowoff valves are illegal for street use."
this is from wikipedia!!

and what do you think about the RSD Blow-Off? its in TMTUNING.com and its like $89 for the adjustable one.
anyone has that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
did you know that Wikipedia lets ANYONE edit their entries...don't believe everything and or anything you hear/read on the internet or TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
It's possible that some cities would enforce such an ordinance either through vehicle code or noise pollution. It's definitely not federal and I haven't heard of any state laws prohibiting BOV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
i dont believe the internet, but i believe tv :p
but cops will follow you if they hear the blowoff sound, they will think that you are racing!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,420 Posts
B13 said:
so i will get a ticket if i use a bov??? :mad:

and whats the advantage of an adjustable bov?
It's just a noisemaker. You know like those little party favors for five year olds? Basically all they do is make noise and get annoying over time. You're better off without one. Sure, it sounds cool, but then it's not benefiting your engine, and in cases hurting it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
o it huts it? i thought it gets rid of pressure in the engine ???
so air intake is better. and it makes the same psssshhhh sound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Yes it makes the psssshhhh sound. And apparently it's a little known fact that an intake will actually improve horsepower and throttle response.

Once again, the purpose of a blowoff valve is to relieve intake pressure during off-throttle without forcing the turbo to spool down. The purpose of a DV is the same but keeps the air within the car's intake system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
but unless it's a CAI, it might do more harm then good... I haven't seen any dynos of just an intake upgrade, and I don't trust word of mouth... I know that there are alot of intakes that don't do crap for performance of the GTI, especially those nice shiny aluminum ones that actually bring hotter air to the engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
HoldDaMayo said:
but unless it's a CAI, it might do more harm then good... I haven't seen any dynos of just an intake upgrade, and I don't trust word of mouth... I know that there are alot of intakes that don't do crap for performance of the GTI, especially those nice shiny aluminum ones that actually bring hotter air to the engine.
That's true of a ton of intakes on the markets for many vehicles. Look at the hype for the turbinator crap.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top