Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to re-code this one tomorrow. BMW does it and it looks awesome.
Has anyone else done this tweak?

There are so many cool things these cars can be programmed to do that I didn't know about.

Another thing I'm wondering is if people in North America are having success getting "Flash to pass" to work with North American encoding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey man the fogs as the drl is an option with the VagCom. i messed with it to see if it will work, and it did. i hate the DRL so i didnt keep the coding. but i thought is was a cool feature.

as far as the "flash to pass" feature, what are you exactly wanting to know about it? i put my car in "Europe Mode" and i have them on with my high beams, and and they still work as a "flash to pass" when my lights are off. you can also choose to have the fog lights with the high beams as well.

let me know what you would to do with them and ill help out the best i can.

~Tony

·
Registered
69 Posts
How do you get your fogs to come on with the DRL? Is that programmable in the dash board computer? I haven't tried to play around with mine yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did get all the VAG settings I wanted.
Totally happy with the Fog as DRL.
Shut off the wiper teardrop wipe.
Leaving home.
Seat belt chime off.
All good.

·
Registered
398 Posts
SickDragons said:
as far as the "flash to pass" feature, what are you exactly wanting to know about it? i put my car in "Europe Mode" and i have them on with my high beams, and and they still work as a "flash to pass" when my lights are off. you can also choose to have the fog lights with the high beams as well.
x2

That's how I roll. No DRL's on my ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Zulu said:
SickDragons said:
x2

That's how I roll. No DRL's on my ride.
I just had my DRLs turned off today at the dealer..... it only took 8 months of bitching!

IMO you should have total control over all lighting options in YOUR car. The owner of the car should be able to chose what lights they want on at whetever time they want!

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Mofo,

Free? What did it take on your part? You seriously complained for 8 months? I have a local tuner with Vag-Com tryin to charge me 80$ to turn them off..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Mofo,

Free? What did it take on your part? You seriously complained for 8 months? I have a local tuner with Vag-Com tryin to charge me 80$ to turn them off..
The day I bought the car I asked if they could shut them off. They said no. I figured I could cover the pin on the back of the headlight switch like I did on my MKIVs but it's a different switch and wouldn't work that way.

So then the car kept having problems and every time it went into the shop I'd ask them to shut them off. No, No, No ..... is all I ever got. They told me one time it had to be autorized by the regional manager. I had e-mailed and called VWoA a bunch of times about how horrible the service dept was and asked why the dealer would not turn off the lights. The customer service people kept telling me to talk to the dealer (the dealer then tells me to call customer service) and back and forth it goes.

Now the air bag light came on and it was something I had to have fixed (I like to know they'll work if I need them) and called VWoA again to complain. Finnally the customer service person agreed with me and said the dealer should have no reason not to turn them off as long as it's not a state requirement. I also told them if they want to put DRLs on their cars then they should come with a lifetime warranty on headlight bulbs=) One of the main reason I don't want them on is they burn out quicker if they're on all the time.

It nearly took an act of Congress to get this done, but in the end what it really took was just to be a royal pain in the ass!

One other reason to shut them off is I got the Euro headlight switch so I can now run my fog lights without my headlights on. I highly recommend the switch (about $75.00).

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Hmm. Any idea which states require? But I like the way you think.. next time I'm in there, I'll start the "process" I couldn't agree more on the Euro switch, its #3 on my list. After springs and intake.
Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Hmm. Any idea which states require? But I like the way you think.. next time I'm in there, I'll start the "process" I couldn't agree more on the Euro switch, its #3 on my list. After springs and intake.
Thanks for the tips
I'm not sure if any states require it. I know in Canada it IS a equirement. Not every car made today for the U.S. market comes with DRLs.....so it's not a requirement.

So don't ever let the dealer tell you they can't (or won't) do it. Remember..... it's YOUR car!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Mofo,

$80...! I just got Vag-Com last night and figured I'd hook some folks up for beer. Damn, maybe I'd better rethink this..;-)

Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts