Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking into changing my floor lamps into a red bulb instead of installing led strips...any where i could purchase these bulbs and how so?

·
Registered
256 Posts
yeah, i just did mine and they are the 194 bulbs. i got mine at pep boys, but they were just incandescent ones. i think i paid 3 or 4 per pair. they also have the fuse style bulb for the top console/map light used in the center of that. i think that number was a 212.2 maybe? i can't remember, but the 194s are used in everything but that top center console and the rear hatch. those bulbs might set off the light out warning on your mfd tho... the footwells i think are the only ones that are tied into light out sensing i believe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are the floorwells (194 bulbs) hard to install?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
{agree}i did all of mine, spent like $10 at pep boys and got cheap incandescent to replace all of mine. i thought about trying leds, but since i'm impatient and wanted them done asap i just tried the cheapie incandescent first... they turned out awesome. i'd recommend them if you don't really care about bright light at night. they give off a really nice warm glow as opposed to a light that you can read your hardy boys mysteries to... anyway, here are some pics of the incandescents in action... pic quality isn't all that great but you get the idea.

IMGP2540.jpg IMGP2534.jpg IMGP2532.jpg IMGP2531.jpg IMGP2539.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there a specifc bulb to get for the floorwells? do you think the floorwells will be enough?

·
Registered
256 Posts
is there a specifc bulb to get for the floorwells? do you think the floorwells will be enough?
the floorwell lights are pretty potent when you throw colored lights in to be honest... i wanted lights that stayed on all the time (or at least when i have a switch on) so i installed 2 leds under the driver side and 3 under the passenger side, wired them to a switch and called it a day, but they are just to fill everything in. the pictures i have are mostly the floorwells except the one pic on the driver side, i have the ones i put in on in that one i believe...

the bulbs are 194 bulbs, all of them except the center one in the front console, that one is the festoon fuse style bulb (so is the one in the trunk, it's just a bigger style). the links xcrazydx provided show you the bulbs as well as how to take them out... it's really simple and cheap. any automotive store should have the 194 bulbs in red, they're pretty common for warning lights and such...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya man its in the links I posted. Enough for what exactly?
like enough to illuminate most of my car...because i dont think im going to change my overhead light to red because i heard its illegal to have red

·
Registered
256 Posts
like enough to illuminate most of my car...because i dont think im going to change my overhead light to red because i heard its illegal to have red
shouldn't be illegal because they're not going to be on when you drive... as far as i know what does anyone care what color your lights are as long as you don't have anything on when you're driving? and no, the footwell lights aren't going to be enough to illuminate your entire car, especially if you have white lights in the upper lights, they will be a lot brighter and you won't notice the reds in the footwells alone much at all

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
So you are planning on having them on when you drive?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just changed mine out tonight to Red.

Went to Advanced Auto asked for size 194 bulbs in Red (they had light blue, blue, stock color, or red) Bought em for like 5 bucks for the pair.

I know someone already linked the DIY to it, and its very simple procedure. Just a quick read over of the DIY and i had mine done in about 10 min (most of my 10 min was looking for my ****ing tools thanks to my gf lmao.)

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I just changed mine out tonight to Red.

Went to Advanced Auto asked for size 194 bulbs in Red (they had light blue, blue, stock color, or red) Bought em for like 5 bucks for the pair.

I know someone already linked the DIY to it, and its very simple procedure. Just a quick read over of the DIY and i had mine done in about 10 min (most of my 10 min was looking for my ****ing tools thanks to my gf lmao.)
.O0.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts