Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i own a 2009 gti and i recently put in some 55w HID 6000k fogs and now they are flickering like hell for the first 15 min of driving then they are fine. And when i just turn the battery on in the car they are perfect 100% of the time. Is there a way to fix this without a vag-com? PLZ HELP ME!!!

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
55w 6k is way to bright... just saying
I agree, 6000k is way to bright and downright offensive to oncoming traffic.

As for your problem, sounds like the key thing is the fact the car is starting up, so two things there: temperature and vibration. Maybe something is not quite making a connection, and the vibration makes it flicker, but as it heats up the metal connection/wire expands just a c-hair and its fine. Beats me, I'd say something is fcuked with your wiring, I'm sure it's not the car and you couldn't solve it with vag-com since its an aftermarket accessory.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I agree, 6000k is way to bright and downright offensive to oncoming traffic.

As for your problem, sounds like the key thing is the fact the car is starting up, so two things there: temperature and vibration. Maybe something is not quite making a connection, and the vibration makes it flicker, but as it heats up the metal connection/wire expands just a c-hair and its fine. Beats me, I'd say something is fcuked with your wiring, I'm sure it's not the car and you couldn't solve it with vag-com since its an aftermarket accessory.
6k 35W is fine IF they are behind a projector..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i love em' but ill just get in there and recheck the wiring. it just doesnt make sence that when the car is started they flicker for a bit, and when i just have the electric on they are perfect.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
6k is not the brightness of the bulbs

in fact a 6k bulb has less luminescence then a 4k bulb

what affects the brightness is that its 55w

because the high wattage brings a 6k bulb down to like a 5.5k light temperature

thus creating more luminous

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
6k is not the brightness of the bulbs

in fact a 6k bulb has less luminescence then a 4k bulb

what affects the brightness is that its 55w

because the high wattage brings a 6k bulb down to like a 5.5k light temperature

thus creating more luminous
Take em to school volcano!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
lol

i hope you guys learned something

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
lol

i hope you guys learned something
Well...

You're right... an under powered metal-halide bulb will leave more mercury un-evaporated, thus leaving a more bluish light, so closer to 6000k or more. Higher powered (more wattage) burns hotter and will tend towards a more white light, say 4500k.

I did not pick up on the higher wattage that PAKNubGTI is running at first, but now it makes sense going from 35w to 55w, so yeah. I'd still be curious to see what the colour temp actually looks like in a pic though, and what the bulb is rated at, might be losing lifespan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts