Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2006 MKV with 130k on it. I've had it since 45k and the check engine light has intermittently been on for long periods of time. I used to take it to the dealer and they would never find anything wrong. It's been through other mechanics who also couldn't find anything so they'd reset it and it'd be fine.

Recently it came on and has been flashing. I know this is a sign of misfiring. It only does it in the morning when the car is cold. Once it runs for about a minute, it goes away and just stays solid.

The current plugs are NGK and were put in at 120000 because of another check engine issue. Since it had to do with misfiring, I ordered new coil packs and plugs. The packs came but I'm still waiting on the plugs so I installed the packs today onto the existing plugs. It still happened, still flashing. I'll put in the new new plugs next week but I don't think that's the problem since these only have 10k on them.

Any other thoughts as to what this could be? I'm afraid to drive the car because of it.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Best bet would be to find someone local with vag-com. Or you can go to one of the larger auto parts stores and they can scan for codes (free). Really, until you have some codes it's all just stabbing in the dark.
The codes can be looked up here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes
Just plug it in the search box. Hope this is some help. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Unplug the mass air flow sensor before you cold start and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Are you saying to start it while its unplugged ? Im just wondering cause I'm sure he'll throw a code if that's the case
Yea. He will throw a code, for the mass air flow sensor unplugged, but if the sensor is the reason he is experiencing misfires, then problem solved. Just means he will need a new sensor. It doesn't actually hurt to experiment with certain sensors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have this same issue. I also have a 2006 GTI I have owned since new. 94th miles now and totally stock engine. I've had the same slightly rough idle for the first minute after start up since it was new. Then magically the idle smooths out and everything is fine. Problem is it never does that consistently. I've had long periods where it never idles rough. But when it does act up after a few times of rough idle start ups the computer decides something is wrong and kicks on the CEL. I have the convenience of working at a VW dealer in sales. So over the years they have done everything under the sun to my car and STILL I get the rough idle start on occasion. I have found that if I just ignored the light and drove it, after a few start cycles where it did not idle rough the light would go out on its own. I've tried different types of gas, you name it. That symptom has never totally been solved and is still an issue to this day 8 years later. I wish I could give you some hope but your car is the same as mine with the same symptoms and I've never totally cured it. Only difference is my CEL has never flashed. Just came on solid. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts