Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my car thats not american made.. '01 GTI Vr6

Before I start asking the questions about what problems these cars have... does this forum have a search option so I can see if I can find the potential problems...

I did notice that every once in awhile it sounds like a ticking/rattle from the engine bay between 2k and 3k rpm from what I've read on other forums is that its more than likely the 2 timing chains, well the tensioners... but since I bought the car from an old guy who kept it flawless and it has 79K miles on it...... I'm doubting/hoping its not already time for new timing hardware...

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
yeah... search around, but this site i think is more focused on the Mark 5 GTI (which is the newer model).

You can however find some information on the older ones, just not a huge amount. Stay around and search and feel free to leave some input.

Don't forget to go here: http://myfastgti.com/vw-gti/vw-gti-mkv-general-discussions/introduce-yourself-to-my-fast-gti-(new-members-start-here)/0/

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
BlackedOutVR6 said:
I recently bought my car thats not american made.. '01 GTI Vr6

Before I start asking the questions about what problems these cars have... does this forum have a search option so I can see if I can find the potential problems...

I did notice that every once in awhile it sounds like a ticking/rattle from the engine bay between 2k and 3k rpm from what I've read on other forums is that its more than likely the 2 timing chains, well the tensioners... but since I bought the car from an old guy who kept it flawless and it has 79K miles on it...... I'm doubting/hoping its not already time for new timing hardware...

Thanks in advance. :)
We definitely want to see pics!!!! :WELCOME6: VR6

·
Registered
15 Posts
This site pretty much revolves around the MKV so if ur lookin for a site that better suits ur car try vwvortex.com there should be forums there relating to ur specific model. I mean the site isnt as good as this one but hey its better than nothing... ;D

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I'm quite knowledgeable on the mkiv, the ticking is usually the sign of the timing belt. I'd recommend replacement when you have a chance, along with the water pump. 700$ and some change for a dealer to knock both out, only takes a few hours.

And as far as your mileage, it's about time to replace both before either fails on you. May not be good news, but catch it before it becomes a problem and you'll be set.

Welcome to the forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.