Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of intake, exhaust, and a chip, but from what I read its best to do the intake and exhaust first, then the chip because you can get different tunes for it? Idk that makes sense to me but I just want to make sure. I can't just dump money into this thing right now. 300 a month car payment and 300 a month insurance... I'm pretty much just doing one thing every month at least. The first thing I'm doing is getting the windows tinted this weekend. After that I'll probably save up a little and get some go faster parts.

What should I do? Intake then exhaust, then chip? Or Buy all three, then do it all at once? Exhaust first then intake? Or maybe chip first? It's too hard for me to choose! lol.

Also which is faster stock for stock. An 03 1.8t 5 speed, or an 03 Vr6 6 speed. The turbo is silver and my car is the black vr6. I just want to know so I can humbly say my car was faster from the factory :).

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Trky said:
I was thinking of intake, exhaust, and a chip, but from what I read its best to do the intake and exhaust first, then the chip because you can get different tunes for it? Idk that makes sense to me but I just want to make sure. I can't just dump money into this thing right now. 300 a month car payment and 300 a month insurance... I'm pretty much just doing one thing every month at least. The first thing I'm doing is getting the windows tinted this weekend. After that I'll probably save up a little and get some go faster parts.

What should I do? Intake then exhaust, then chip? Or Buy all three, then do it all at once? Exhaust first then intake? Or maybe chip first? It's too hard for me to choose! lol.

Also which is faster stock for stock. An 03 1.8t 5 speed, or an 03 Vr6 6 speed. The turbo is silver and my car is the black vr6. I just want to know so I can humbly say my car was faster from the factory :).
Most chips for the VR6 increase HP in the single digit range...

If it was my car, I would do the intake, then the exhaust and then save my money for a supercharger and ecu mods. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I agree with Dragon. The chip is like $350-$450 I think for the VR6 and yields around +9hp. The 24 valve motor just doesn't see the jump in horse power from the average bolt on that we enjoy with the 2.0. The exhaust system is the easiest place to loose some restriction and let the motor breathe better, of course I would want to open the intake up at the same time. You can either drop in a bid turbo kit (around 11K installed, less about 3 grand if you do it yourself) or the supercharger (about 6.5K installed, $4500 DIY)

I'd save up and let the beast outta that VR6. O0

·
Registered
15 Posts
with my vr6 the first things i did were intake and chip... i noticed a big difference as well after just removing the resonator... search around for a chip.. i got one for my mk3 vr for like 65 bucks... but those mods were a big aid to what else i had done.

i had a 10lb flywheel (one of the biggest/best differences) along with a stage 2 clutch put on when i replaced the clutch... maybe keep that in mind.. and a 3.65 R&P (from a corrado tranny) my jetta could do 0-60 in 5 secs... although it was only a mid 14 second car... acceleration is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.