Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I discovered the additives to fuel are useless. They actually hinder gains by 2 horses on average. I was reluctant to try SeaFoam as it is claimed as an additive as well. Just changed the oil last week to Mobil 1 full synth with the recommended amount of SeaFoam added to clean the crankcase out a bit. Also dropped the right amount in for a half tank of gas.
Compared to how the car was running before I'm really impressed. I have better throttle response and a steady increase in speed instead of chuggy feeling it had before. The engine is actually running quite a bit quieter as well. It purrs now whereas it had some slight clicking before.
If you haven't tried SeaFoam yet, give it a go at your next oil change/ gas fill.

Either tomorrow or sometime in the next couple weeks I'll be doing the direct ijection clean with SeaFoam to clean out the valves and head. I hope this restores all of the power lost form the nasty gunk built over the years on my 127K mile 2002 1.8t 337.

It will be a promising venture for sure. I'll take shots and video for a simple DIY in case others would like the write-up.
It's getting slightly warmer around here so I can actually get time to work outside without losing fingers from frostbite.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I think you should only do seafoam right before oil changes. Its a petroleum base product but thins out your oil, and is for cleaning gunk out. So, I do it right before oil changes.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EEEE! Looks like fun. I can tell others to eat my smoke! I live right next to to the most high traffic bridge connecting East and West Green Bay so I bet someone will call it in as a fire.
I dropped it in the oil cuz I plan to change it far under the 3000 mark. I ran it over my hash mark by easily 2000 miles last time and I need to clean the engine out if I want to maintain the power levels I'm pushing for. So far I feel like alot of the major gunk is getting cleaned out. I figure two good applications of SeaFoam directly injected will serve as a good once over on the valves. At least until I can afford the top end build...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think you should only do seafoam right before oil changes. Its a petroleum base product but thins out your oil, and is for cleaning gunk out. So, I do it right before oil changes.
Correct...

My experience on direct inject was go really really slow.... It also helps to have a second person there to hold the RPM's up a little higher than idle to keep it from stalling, its going to want to stall. People were warning if it stalls that it could hydrolock but I dont know that the amount you are putting in will cause a failure.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct...

My experience on direct inject was go really really slow.... It also helps to have a second person there to hold the RPM's up a little higher than idle to keep it from stalling, its going to want to stall. People were warning if it stalls that it could hydrolock but I dont know that the amount you are putting in will cause a failure.
Me and my VW tech buddy Dave are going to do our cars on the same day together. He's got a GLI. I know about the inflator needle trick in the tube so I'll probably go that route for easy distribution. I would DIE if I hydrolocked my engine. Omg...

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Just run seafoam like a few hundred miles before oil change so you can flush out all the gunk it loosens up and then drain it out. Oh, and when the idle gets choppy while sucking it in just ease out of the seafoam so it doesnt stall.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just run seafoam like a few hundred miles before oil change so you can flush out all the gunk it loosens up and then drain it out. Oh, and when the idle gets choppy while sucking it in just ease out of the seafoam so it doesnt stall.
Will do! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am planning on seafoaming my GTI when I am due for my next oil change...Looking forward to see how ur's turns out.

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts
Correct...

Duds, did you do this on the TT? I am looking to do this once it gets a bit warmer out....

·
Registered
4 Posts
SeaFoam on and 01 VR6 through the intake spray (behind maf sensor and in front of throttle body) and it threw a cel code the next day. Has this happened to anyone?? Car only has 43k miles. Sounded like some lifter noise this morning when I started it. Not sure though
Please help!

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
This

·
Registered
732 Posts
Duds, did you do this on the TT? I am looking to do this once it gets a bit warmer out....
Sorry Nate, missed this reply in Jan.. Ha.

Yes, I did do it to the TT and recommend it... I didnt put any in the oil but I did add 1/2 to the gas tank and the rest into the engine for white smokey fun.

·
Dub 2.0
924 Posts
Sorry Nate, missed this reply in Jan.. Ha.

Yes, I did do it to the TT and recommend it... I didnt put any in the oil but I did add 1/2 to the gas tank and the rest into the engine for white smokey fun.
Thanks a lot dude :) I just changed my oil... I coulda used ya!!! I put the Catch Can on anyways so hopefully my injectors dont collect any more gunk before the next oil change. I am going to ask for your assistance here in a few months on this before the next oil change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts