Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member on the forum. I've read many posts and I?m happy to know that we have some serious folks here...ie..ppl are not just fooling around on this forum..

I've been looking to buy my first brand new car for a few months now..and the choices have come down to two cars: GTI or Civic Si...

I'm more inclined towards GTI...it's just a great car, too much fun. On the other hand, Civic's interior was just ghetto...i didn't like it..however, the exterior esp from front is great!
I've been to a few dealerships (checking out other cars as well), and recently I test drove a Si. Somehow the manager (who happened to be standing outside) made me say what other cars I was looking for (he tricked me by asking too many questions)...i said 'GTI' and he had a lot of bad stuff to say about it....I can understand that he wanted me to buy the Si but anywayz...

I had a few questions of my own about the GTI...first here's what i'm considering:
I want to buy white GTI with DSG and pkg 1....
1) I'm not sure what radio option would be a better in southern california?
2) DSG sounds fairly new technology in GTIs, and in the back of my mind i'm just concerned in using the new technology. Are there any known issues with DSG?
3) if there are issues with the DSG, how helpful will be the warranty?
3) The resale value...i might just use the car for 2-3 years and would like to sell it off or trade it in. How good is the resale value.

I just need a little help in making my final decision...and i want to make the right decision, i certainly hope you guys can help me out in making the decision. Thanks!
8)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't think you seriously came here to ask that question. Because of the nature of this board, you should have known before you even made your account what the members here would recommend to you. That said, there are plenty of reviews and members opinions in the GTI vs Si forum you should take a look at. The bottom line is, the only person who can make that decision is you.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've always found resale value of VWs to be significantly higher than anything else. In 1999 I sold my 1988 base model Jetta for around $3000CAD when other cars of the same year were selling for $1500 tops. I might be a good used car sales person too. My 1997 Jetta I sold this spring for $7000CAD (I had it listed for $8900 and still got calls for it), well above what kelly blue book says it's worth.

While looking for a new car, my choice was between the MkV GTI and a MkIV Jetta GLI (I've mentioned my disgust for the ugly-ass MkV Jettas on numerous occasions). Looking at used car websites and seeing what people were listing their Jettas at from previous years was shocking. Some as high as $30K CAD, only a few thou below the original price. And I know for a fact that dealerships are actually selling them used for some pretty high amounts 'cause they don't have to charge sales tax and can add service plans and whatnot.

My choice of the GTI was so that in 5 years or so when I want to sell it I'll have something special to sell, something unique. It's unlikely, at the time I list it, that there will be any other used MkV GTIs on the marketplace (there will probably be MkIVs that nobody wants) and the fact that it's a GTI I can expect a premium on the resale price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys and thanks Thalo for the detailed answer:

I guess i wasn't too clear when I posted my initial message...I wasn't gonna compare GTI vs Civic but I was more interested in the options of GTI (ie pkg 1 Vs no pkg....radio option with pkg 1, manual Vs DSG and the resale price).... I was a little surprised that my topic was moved (i have no one else to blame but myself >:D)

Thalo you made some good points...i had a few more questions..

How many of you own a GTI with DSG?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i have the DSG and lemme tell ya... its awesome ;D. its by far the best tranny you can get from a stock car until you get into exotics. the gear changing is smooth and lightning fast >:D. unless you are a die hard manual fan i would strongly suggest a DSG. you can always put it in simple drive also in traffic or when you wanna have some fun on an open road change gear modes and light up the stick or paddle shifters ;D
DSG=simply amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I wish I had DSG, or at least had a chance to try it, but I don't. Again, looking at selling a used car in 5 years I don't think the DSG will add any value. Most people that will be looking for a used GTI know how to drive stick and would probably prefer it anyway. Also, once your warranty's up and the DSG has some wear on tear on it it can get really expensive to fix.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thalo said:
I wish I had DSG, or at least had a chance to try it, but I don't. Again, looking at selling a used car in 5 years I don't think the DSG will add any value. Most people that will be looking for a used GTI know how to drive stick and would probably prefer it anyway. Also, once your warranty's up and the DSG has some wear on tear on it it can get really expensive to fix.
this is true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.