Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about selling a polished intake manifold-trying keep my bank account from the negatives lol..dont quite have em yet,gotta get and polish it....will be done in a week and a half
If any body wants to pretty up the engine bay with this let me know...I'm thinkin 110$ range and let me now the zipcode.I'll prolly take some of the shippng hit.
[gti] 1.8t awp

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Are the runners polished as well?

Just for whoever is interested...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes Fran-k-emonster im planning on doing the runners.I'm starting on it by next week...I'd rather not do the sections of the mani that arent visible but watevs..I'll gonna end up doing the whole thing most likely ....

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i already have two potential buyers brehski....but If I dont end up burning my hands off, and get sick of it (im doin 2 )..then I could consider doing yours fosho...you have an extra mani???

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
Mmmmm polished intake manifolds

Sent From Mah iPhone4 Using Teh Tapatalk B!tches

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
is this the first thing you have ever polished?

i would put more work into it

GLWS

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2000 grit finish???what more???keep in mind its under light, which makes all finishes bad.Had alot of nastiness,deep pits when I got it.Also, I cleaned it up more after pic..I dont know how you want me to have good luck when you pretty much preetty much say not to buy my wheels, and that this is crappy, its not perfect but its good compared to before..kthanx :)

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
2000 grit finish???what more???keep in mind its under light, which makes all finishes bad.Had alot of nastiness,deep pits when I got it.Also, I cleaned it up more after pic..I dont know how you want me to have good luck when you pretty much preetty much say not to buy my wheels, and that this is crappy, its not perfect but its good compared to before..kthanx :)
The reason his wheels look so good is because he spent some serious time on them. He also asked me for some tips on doing it. Seeing as how paint and refinishing is my specialty...

Honestly, those scratches are from a grit lower than 2000. They look like 800/1000 which means you didn't wet sand with 2000 long enough. I'd go back with 1500 then 2000. Also, 2000 isn't something you hand polish over, you need a buffer to cover that. 3000 is hand polishable.

It shows, trust me.

So yes, his comment may have come off bad, but mine is probably 10x worse. I just criticized the crap out of it. But in good nature, GLWS.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok pm info i didnt know u were a guru, i also have to do my headlights...btw i finishedI went 1000-1500-2000....2000wet.. with the sander it came out worse than by hand..
btw i dont expect to sell anything on mfg..so dnt care about that

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
i dont expect to sell anything on mfg..so dnt care about that
I get that, but vortex would probably eat you alive. Sucks that they all act that way...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ehh theres other more annoying stuff there...So i guess its back to the cramped garage for me...any more tips welcome

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
ehh theres other more annoying stuff there...So i guess its back to the cramped garage for me...any more tips welcome
Use a real polish lol

Just follow what I posted earlier. And you'll want to hand polish it a few times but let it rest between polishes. Gives the scratches time to come back

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
lol

im sorry but i didnt mean for you to get upset

i was just saying that i would have worked on it some more

i would go back down to 800

i only used the sander up to like 220

then its all wet sanding up until 2000 and then buff it with the drill

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
Dont get down Dood , polishing takes alot of time, effort, patience ,and annoyance. Then u get to repeat it all over again cuz something scratches it

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dont get down Dood , polishing takes alot of time, effort, patience ,and annoyance. Then u get to repeat it all over again cuz something scratches it
I know......Went over it again, the reflection is stronger but still not as clear as a house mirror..
And what do you mean use a real polish-boosted??
BTW does anybody know a question I could ask about GTI's where the answer couldnt be easily found on the internet?????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts