Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a newbie, and looking to purchase either a 07 gti 4 door or a 07 jetta gli both with dsg. the fastest vehicle i have driven is my dads cherokee laredo 4.7liter v8, and to me that vehicle feels like a monster in the acceleration catagory. i really want somthing that is fast off the liine, i would like alot of opinions on these vehicles as far s performance. also i would like to do some drifting in maybe a couple of nearby abandoned parking lots and was wondering if these 2 cars would be good for that use?? are these 2 vehicles better or worse off the line than that of the cherokee 4.7liter v8??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hello, this would be my first post on these forums. my father has a cherokee laredo 4.7liter v8, and that would be the most torquie vehicle i have driven, to me it feels like a beast. i am looking to purchase my own new vw, either a 2007 gti 4 door W/DSG, or a 2007 jetta gli W/DSG. i would really like a vehicle with alot of acceleration, will it be better of worse than that of the 4.7liter v8?? also i was wondering if these 2 vehicles are drift capable, meaning can i actually drift?? and which 1 would be better equipped?? also, i would like some personal openions on the launch control feature.

thank you, Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mike,

That Jeep does pack a punch, and I don't think a GTI will give you the same feeling. If you haven't driven one though, you will find that it does pick up very nicely. On acceleration you do feel good push into the back of your seat. Unless you are a family man, get the GTI. As for the drifting, thats not really what these cars are made for. I'm sure it's possible in one way or another, but I wouldn't suggest it. If you just want to pull the e brake and slide, they ar capable though! It's much better with a Maual tranny though. No offense to all you DSG folks, but you get much more out of a car with a manual. You really feel complete control over your car.

But, if you do get the DSG, from what I have seen the launch control it great. You will have to be careful so you dont just floor it out of the launch (you will spin wheels) but other than that it's great for a drag...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Although I'm sure some drifting is possible with the GTI, that type of driving is best accomplished with a rear-wheel drive car. With RWD, you can steer the car in one direction with the front wheels while adding momentum along the axis of the car, because the rear wheels aren't turning.

That said, the Cherokee has a 0-60 of just under 5 seconds according to the internet, and the GTI is closer to 7.
I'd still recommend the GTI (obviously), because I'm not a truck/SUV person.
People still consider buying vehicles that get 15 mpg city / 20 mpg hwy?!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dude, your not a noob. The key things to remeber is the differences in what you are looking at. I guess you question is should you get a GTI or GLI? and you want them compared to this Jeep for whatever reason?

The VW's are in a different class first off. If you want a quick nimble practical car, then get a car. If you want a powerful jeep, and no money for gas, <lol> get a jeep. I'm not a fan of SUV's or trucks unless you hauling/towing/or in the mountains, but if thats you thing then do it.

A GTI will be funner than a GLI but its not as practical. i belive you will save a g or two as well!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is true, but i am comparing the power of the jeep to that of the gti because i wanted to know how the acceleration would match up between the two. right now i am really considering the gti, im about 16 years old and 6 "1 and im looking for a fun 4 door fast small vehicle. how much room is there in the trunk of the 4 door gti?? and what performance mods can i get without voiding the warranty??

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you are 16, you probably want a fun car. no matter how powerful a jeep is and how fast it accelerates i dont think itll be fun....

why a four door?

the trunk space is decent. I think you'll find there's enough room

as for the mods.....

pretty much everything will void your warranty.

you can put an intake on, becuase its not hard to switch it back to stock if you have to take it in....

you can chip it, and get a program to flash back to stock or just hope they never notice,

and thats pretty much it. anything that isnt a VW part put on by VW techs (as shitty as some can be) will void void void

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: just thinking of buying an 07 gti 4 door

i know i have posted in the wrong forum, but i really need some advice here..

·
Registered
220 Posts

dude.....isnt this a different thread??

the GTI wont pick up as fast, it isnt made for drifting, but it is fun.

yes you may be able to drift, but not that well in A.) FWD car and B.) an Automatic....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

yea basically the same thread, i started this 1 and then realized it was in the wrong forum, sorry duck and thank you for all your help, i am most likely going to get the gti 4 door

·
Registered
220 Posts

hey man i dont care how many you start lol.

just curious if you didnt like my answer or anything. i can tell you from expierience too man, be extra carefil when you get a car!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 5-door has the same trunk space as the 3-door.
If you are concerned about the extra doors and trunk space, the GLI may be a better bet.
Head over to a dealer and see what they look like to you.
And I second Killer Duck's notion: don't get the Jeep unless you're towing and hauling stuff regularly.
The VWs will be fun drivers, and much better looking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i dont realy like jeeps myself, but just curious about the power resemblance between the two.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

please dont try ot drift with a GTi or GLi. its just going to turn out horrible. FWD cars are not designed to drift by any means. plus the GTi and GLi dont even have a real LSD they have an electronic one... which also helps greatly with drifting.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
whats its 0-60? i am almost positive a GTi would take one out. it might jump off the line on the GTi but after about 40mph the GTi would sail by in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts