My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so my Great Pumpkin has 9k miles on it now and I swear every time I wash it I see another chip somewhere.. and I'm not talking obvious stone chips on the nose, I mean chips in bizarre places, like right above the driver door frame, down near the ground effects on the side (below where a door would hit it) and others. I have never seen a paint so fragile. I'm afraid to use harsh language around it for fear of chipping the paint. It seems like it's the body panel parts that have the weak paint... The nose actually seem very tough. I've opened a case up with VW on the issue and they are supposed to get back to me about when and where I can meet a VW rep to have it examined. I was wondering if others were having similar issues.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
3K miles and so far only a chip on the hood from a big semi throwing up a rock....I got the Magma Orange touch up paint from the dealership and it worked pretty good

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a lot of chips in the paint of my Fahrenheit as well and only 9,335 miles. I am very interested in what VW says about your case. Please keep me informed.

Jason

·
Registered
119 Posts
i only have 1,200 miles on mine and only 1 chip but i know were it came from.(some one hit my mirror with either there car or a shoping cart, im not shur i didnt see them do it) :'(

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i have sooo many chips, i had to go to advanced auto parts to get a lil touch up pen.

rocks on 81 kill me

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
lumns said:
i have sooo many chips, i had to go to advanced auto parts to get a lil touch up pen.

rocks on 81 kill me
Hey... what color did you use? Since we have the same color... I have a bunch of chips too.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
advance auto parts had one precisely for VW's.... even listing the color as tornado red

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm wondering if the there is any correlation between paint quality and the color. Maybe someone (not it) would like to start a survey to see if a certain color paint is less durable than another.

My Fast is UG with about 30K miles and only 1 tiny little rock chip on the hood. I'm fairly impressed.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
there only problem is that the paint color is flat soo it looks dark. From a distance u cant tell...but its a whole lot better than seein a huge white chip

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
lumns said:
there only problem is that the paint color is flat soo it looks dark. From a distance u cant tell...but its a whole lot better than seein a huge white chip
It'll do until I get my Carbon Fiber hood with the turbo vent in it from OSIR.

haha, knowing me, I'll still have the stock hood 2 years from now.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
haha, yea i said the same thing....i not gonna get into cosmetics till i finish puttin in the parts that will make me faster.

the pen is a good investment.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
MicMoor77 said:
I'm wondering if the there is any correlation between paint quality and the color. Maybe someone (not it) would like to start a survey to see if a certain color paint is less durable than another.
There are a lot of factors in getting a true answer to that.

I think a lot of damage is due to driver inattention (following a gravel truck) and road conditions, especially in construction zones.

Someone told me the Fahrenheits have an extra layer of paint since they were the red ones leftover from 06' ;) >:D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Dragon said:
MicMoor77 said:
There are a lot of factors in getting a true answer to that.

I think a lot of damage is due to driver inattention (following a gravel truck) and road conditions, especially in construction zones.

Someone told me the Fahrenheits have an extra layer of paint since they were the red ones leftover from 06' ;) >:D
And if you peel the red off, there is a silver MKIV under there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes it sucks...my fahrenheit has like 10 chips with less than 3000 miles. none are on the nose...they are scattered on the hood. i always drive like she is my baby...i never follow trucks and get off roads that are being paved asap(and slowly). i have a 10 year old civic that has no chips. any luck with vw?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have some chips too, it hink the osir carbon fibre hood is the answer. Me and patrick live in Vegas and there is alot of construction here though, so it was expected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.