Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is there someone else out there that washes their car and drives it a day only to find the bottom half of the exhaust tips are covered in some black substance. It comes off with a wipe of a rag but I haven't run into this before....and I worked detailing cars for over five years. ???

Is anyone else running into this? My car only has 2k miles on it and maybe it will improve or maybe I just deal with it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've noticed that, too. It doesn't get better with age, either. I've got just under 5k on mine and the entire lower half of my tips are black.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
2K and they are as black as the black plastic bumper haha... actually my sister and her friend cleaned the car yesterday... maybe they are clean now hah

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know motorcycle pipes discolor due to air-fuel mixture being a bit off or the timing being a bit off (motorcycles being much more difficult to tune)...

2k and same discoloration.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ive got over 8grr on mine and every time I wash it the bottoms are black with soot...

Ive never not just drove it normal though either I have my foot in the pedal alot..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Talked to a guy at volkswagen customer support in Germany. He said it might be because the octaine in the gas you are using is too high. Not sure if there is validity to this but who knows.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
UnitedGTI said:
Talked to a guy at volkswagen customer support in Germany. He said it might be because the octaine in the gas you are using is too high. Not sure if there is validity to this but who knows.
...i could see it being too low and causing this but not too high... ???

·
Registered
38 Posts
It had to do with the car not being able to burn all the fuel that goes into the chamber. Apparently over time the problem should be less intense. Once again it was a volkswagen tech so he may just be trying to make me happy and shut me up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also noticed that my tips aren't perfectly chrome; they look kinda dingy. Anybody else notice this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Just buy a new exhaust system. You've got everything else, don't you? Or is this already an after-market exhaust that has shit on it? In that case, buy a new aftermarket exhaust.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts