Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust "system" I have in my car leaves something to be desired. The owner before had it as his and his sons project car. But they cut corners here and there. So my exhaust pipe from the engine all the way back to the muffler looks like some rusty old pipe they found laying around. In order to replace it I know I have to buy the exhaust pipe and muffler, but will I have to get new headers on top of that? And is it an easy days worth of work to fix? Lastly where would be the best place to purchace a quality exhaust system?

·
Registered
723 Posts
google

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got tired of searching google over and over, that's why I joined this forum. Get help from an actual person.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I got tired of searching google over and over, that's why I joined this forum. Get help from an actual person.
ok fair... how do the current headers look? are they stock? if the are stock and in reasonable condition theres no need to change them. if they are aftermarket and/or in bad shape buy new ones (i think ecstuning.com has them). If they are stock and in good shape you can buy any exhaust that would fit the car stock. I would recommend 42dd but you have a ton of other options. hope that helps

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The exhaust "system" I have in my car leaves something to be desired. The owner before had it as his and his sons project car. But they cut corners here and there. So my exhaust pipe from the engine all the way back to the muffler looks like some rusty old pipe they found laying around. In order to replace it I know I have to buy the exhaust pipe and muffler, but will I have to get new headers on top of that? And is it an easy days worth of work to fix? Lastly where would be the best place to purchace a quality exhaust system?
@6speed...C'mon duuuuuuuuuuuude!

Anyway...I don't know much about the GTI in your avatar but the MkV that I have has a downpipe coming off the turbo which can be purchased separately. Then it has a section of pipe that goes all the way to the rear of the car called the cat-back. It, obviously, runs from the catalytic converter back to the muffler and finally out of the exhaust tips. Those pieces can be purchased separately through different companies then mated together or, and this is the easiest option, purchased as one turbo back exhaust (TBE).

So unless your car is radically different, I think you should be able to find a good quality exhaust in whatever form you want from a company like 42 draft designs. If you're just going for a better sound, get a cat-back and ignore the downpipe options.

*edit* Just realized from another posting that you have a vr6...Try this website instead of 42dd: http://techtonicstuning.com/main/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts