Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i can't spell bear with me.
Hey, i have a 01 golf 1.8 turbo and my Cattilac converter plugged solid and i lost all power. The problem is where i live its not illegal to not have a caddy on your car. So i jacked up my car gonna cut it out and realize the Oxygen sensor inserts into my caddy. So i was wondering if i could bypass the oxygen sensor so i called my local grage and they said it could cause problems with my computer. So i decided ill just buy a new caddy. The closest VW dealer to my house is 15 hours away. I call about getting one shipped and the ****ing caddy cost $480 plus tax. Waste of money to me. Is there a way to bypass the oxygen sensor or do i really need it considering theres another oxygen sensor 5 or 6 inchs away from the caddy?

Any help would be great!!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Is the sensor infront or behind the "caddy"? if it is infront then NO if it behind then yes. If you need a 02 sensor port for tuning etc. later on your local exhaust shop SHOULD be able to weld a bung in the pipe with a plug pretty easy.
There are 2 02 sensors on the mkiv. one pre and post cat...

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
There are 2 02 sensors on the mkiv. one pre and post cat...
yes I know, I was asking which one was bolted to the cat that is going to be cut off when he straight pipes it. is it bolted to the front or the rear. The front one measures the A/F ratio and tells the computer. bypassing that would be bad mmmk.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
yes I know, I was asking which one was bolted to the cat that is going to be cut off when he straight pipes it. is it bolted to the front or the rear. The front one measures the A/F ratio and tells the computer. bypassing that would be bad mmmk.
One on the cat is the 2nd if I can recall correctly. Been about 3 years since I did 02 sensors on one.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
cut out the cat

get some pipe welded on and the bung for the O2

get a angle block and install O2

should take care of the light

or just go get APR chipped and they will take care of it

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
One on the cat is the 2nd if I can recall correctly. Been about 3 years since I did 02 sensors on one.
i think it is the second one

at least it was on the mk3 and on my mk4 the 1st o2 is higher up the DP

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay thanks for the fast replies, yes theres two o2 sensors one on the downpipe before the the caddy and one directly on the caddy, the one i will be cutting out is on the caddy itself, so if i cut the cat off and weld a stright pipe there, then i can make a hole in the stright pipe and put the o2 sensor back there? if so wouldnt that cause sensor lights and cause more problems later?

by the way im a noob to VW sorry guys.

Whats an angle block?
Whats apr chiped? Is this a performance chip for my car?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
say cat instead of caddy please.
THANKS THIS SHOULD HELP MY PROBLEM ALOT. ONCE I START SAYING CAT THAT SHOULD FIX MY CAR. your a genius lazer.

Anyhow thanks alot valcano thats two problems you helped me solve so far. I really appreciate your help. and thanks to everyone else who posted except douce bag lazer.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
THANKS THIS SHOULD HELP MY PROBLEM ALOT. ONCE I START SAYING CAT THAT SHOULD FIX MY CAR. your a genius lazer.

Anyhow thanks alot valcano thats two problems you helped me solve so far. I really appreciate your help. and thanks to everyone else who posted except douce bag lazer.
Why do you new users think you can just keep runnin your mouths... So frustrating. Get off the pc and go attempt to diagnose the car yourself. Build up a sh!t reputation and you wont get help, from anyone.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i agree with boosted

i agree with lazer

dont call a caddy

it a catalytic so short cat

when you say caddy i think Cadillac but whatever

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey. Sorry lazer for acting like an idiot. Didn't me to offend anybody. I was just having a frustrating day with my car and seen your post and thought what does that have to do with my car being broke and i just jumped the conclusion. Btw i didn't know their was a difference between caddy or cat i hear people say both so i didnt understand. sorry ill use cat from know on. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey. Sorry lazer for acting like an idiot. Didn't me to offend anybody. I was just having a frustrating day with my car and seen your post and thought what does that have to do with my car being broke and i just jumped the conclusion. Btw i didn't know their was a difference between caddy or cat i hear people say both so i didnt understand. sorry ill use cat from know on. :)
We are all frustrated when our dub is out of commission

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.