Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread and only this thread is where discussions as to which brand/style of exhaust is best. If you're in the market for an exhaust, read this thread. Do not make your own thread for this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In response to " Won't the whole Turbo-Back exhaust get rid of your Cat? I would think that would be a dumb move considering the emissions nazis... " in the "APR or Milltek turbo back exhaust?" thread.
most companies, at least the good ones (apr and i think milltek) include a new high flow cat with the turbo back exhaust. As for the apr, not only do they include a cat in the system, but they also have a lifetime warrenty on their prduct, so if anything goes wrong with the cat, they will replace it for free--a pretty good deal considering the cost of high performance cats. i cannot speak on the milltek as i do not have one and dont know that much about it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey there. I am stuck with a decision to make and I can use a bit of guidance. I am planning on getting exhaust on my GTI from the turbo back.

There are several companies which manufacture turbo back exhausts for my car but after reading the pros and cons I am left with my own ideas.

I looked at the design of the systems available for my car and they are quite simple 3in. mandrel bent piping from the turbo back to a can in the rear or in one case just straight piping with no can. The bolt on exhaust runs between $ 1,100.00 to about $ 1,300.00.

I am considering purchasing a good can and having a local muffler shop do all the piping.

Either way I go I need remove one O2 sensor and reflash my ECU to run with only one O2 sensor.

I have asked around and only one other person I know with a GTI has had custom exhaust made for his car. His opinion is to go with something custom.

Can someone shed some light my way?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd say stay away from muffler shop exhaust systems for few reasons.
1. Stock 2.5" exhaust will be better the 90% muffler shop jobs
2. Muffler shops do not mandrel bend
3. Most muffler shops do not use stainless pipes
4. Unless you got the cash to get a good direct fit part, dont mess with it. Talk to some other tuners who have dealt with a number of 2.0Ts and they will tell you the stock exhaust system is not bad, it quiet but its not bad.

·
Registered
169 Posts
what if i want an exhaust and can't afford the tbe is there another way to go, could i go cat back and what disadvantages would there be with a cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
06TRMKV said:
what if i want an exhaust and can't afford the tbe is there another way to go, could i go cat back and what disadvantages would there be with a cat back exhaust.
go to a muffler shop and have them cut out your pre muffler resonator/silencer and replace it with a piece of straihgt pipe. you'll get a more aggresive sound for a very affordable price

·
Registered
1 Posts
dakoreanguy said:
What kind of exhaust should I get if I want the most "sound"? >:D
I cut out my resonator and put on a new muffler. I used a Magnaflow it sounds aggressive and deep but not extremely loud. All around I like it very much.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GTfly said:
where you get yer custom pipes from?
I had it done at Brake World in Miami. I have taken all my previous cars there for my exhaust work. The have been doing Brakes and mufflers for approx. 13 years. Same owners and workers from the begining. The 3" going around the axel is a bit tight so I am having them analyze how dumping the exhaust under the car will affect my back preasure. I am thinking of hanging mystock muffler in place to give it a sleeper look when I am parked at the hang outs.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
whats the number to the place? and how much is it gonna be? honestly i would stick with 2.5" piping otherwise you will lose a bit of torque but that might not be too bad of a thing considering its FWD and the torque is already outrageous.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GTfly said:
whats the number to the place? and how much is it gonna be? honestly i would stick with 2.5" piping otherwise you will lose a bit of torque but that might not be too bad of a thing considering its FWD and the torque is already outrageous.
I dont have the number to the place but they are in the yellow pages. location is 137 avenue and sw 8 street. Zip is 33184. Cost was $ 180.00 but I have gotten work done here on 5 or 6 cars. I suggest calling them and get a quote.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
mog is the exhaust yer getting a full exhaust? or just a down pipe? and if its a pure straight pipe wont you lose some torque?

·
Registered
261 Posts
GTfly said:
mog is the exhaust yer getting a full exhaust? or just a down pipe? and if its a pure straight pipe wont you lose some torque?
GTfly, I know the gys at the shop I went to pretty well and I trust them. For now.. I have the stock downpipe and cat, from there on a straight pipe from the second O2 sensor back. I have noticed an incredible increase of power. I feel the car a whole lot stronger at low and high rpm. I am setting up a dyno day here in Miami and I guess the dyno will reveal the truth. My last dyno was 218 whp and 269 torque.

1 - 20 of 453 Posts