My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the euro headlight switch for my MKV gti so I can run the fog lights without the headlights on (like they should anyway).

The switch has 3 settings

1) Off
2) parking lights , which you can pull out the knob for the fog lights
3) on

if the switch is set to the parking light setting the "DRL" light stays , the exterior parking lights come on , and the headlights stay on.

When I bought it there was no mention of programming needed which I believe it's gonna need.

So my question to ya'll is ...... have any of you bought a euro switch , and does the car need to be programmed for the switch

and is there anyone around Boston that has a VAG-COM that would be willing to do it for me because VW dealers are not helpful with things like this.[/

·
Registered
274 Posts
You have to disable the DRL with a VAGCOM before you can get the results that you are desiring. I had my DRL disabled before I bought the switch. The switch will work exactly as you expect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhhhhhh , just as I thought.

did you have it done at a dealer or on your own?

I fucking hate new cars!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey mofo,
where did you pick up the euro switch? I saw some on e-bay for $20 coming out of hong kong but I don't want to buy some kind of shady knock off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
280 Posts
That looks pretty sweet. Just curious, are you guys wanting to turn off your DRLs to increase the life of the Xenons? Personally, I think the lights do look sweet, but the effect isn't that great in the day anyways. Fog-lights only, on the other hand, look bad ass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealer never turned on my DRLs so luckily I don't have to deal with finding someone to turn them off. Was there any reprogramming or did it work once you hooked it up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
voodooGTI said:
The dealer never turned on my DRLs so luckily I don't have to deal with finding someone to turn them off. Was there any reprogramming or did it work once you hooked it up.
It worked fine once the DRLs were turned off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hey guys i hate to dig this old thread up but i wanted to know where to buy a euro headlight switch. i found one on ecs tuning for 42.00 is that good or can i get it cheaper..

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Question about this as well: can you go to the dealer and ask them to turn off the DRL? Or should I just find someone w/ VAGcom?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts