Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one time i launched with esp on nothing realy happened besides tires did not spin.
last few weeks weather has gotton below freezing but dry and i notice the esp light flahing off the line exelleration. and car slidding a bit. I was wondering if i could of screwed up the esp system or if the pavement is just frozen but dry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Sgar, I think it is most likely due to the temperature. The ESP flashes when the tires are slipping, which is more likely to happen if your tires are colder (therefore harder, less friction). What type of tires are you running?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
A drop in intake air temperature makes a difference in power as well. I always find my GTI to be a bit more willing to break the tires loose when the ambient air temperature is getting near the freezing point >:D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think its the air also. cold air is dense, so that means more air with every combustion. more air is bigger explosion, and bigger explosion equals more power. also, I'm guessing u get a lot more wheel spin cause ur tires aren't sticking to the ground . hot rubber sticks to the ground

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
and on a cold day there are always a slight film of moisture that hasnt evaporated

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
all engines love cold days (as long as its not under the freezing point) especially turbos so the car will run a bit better on a cold brisk day but at the same time your tires will harden so traction becomes more of a problem... just turn off ESP and let it rip O0

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
all engines love cold days (as long as its not under the freezing point) especially turbos so the car will run a bit better on a cold brisk day but at the same time your tires will harden so traction becomes more of a problem... just turn off ESP and let it rip O0
Letting it rip with esp on makes the tires spin in 1st and cuts boost in 2nd... No esp means no traction in 1st :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Letting it rip with esp on makes the tires spin in 1st and cuts boost in 2nd... No esp means no traction in 1st :(
its all about throttle control O0. rev it to about 2200 and then just have the gas half down for first gear until the end then start to stomp on it. during second gear you might spin for a second but if you 3/4 gas it and then ease into flooring it you should not have a big problem.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
its all about throttle control O0. rev it to about 2200 and then just have the gas half down for first gear until the end then start to stomp on it. during second gear you might spin for a second but if you 3/4 gas it and then ease into flooring it you should not have a big problem.
I have Goodyear Eagle F1's... 8th stickiest tire and they don't grab unless i really heat them up in cold or warm weather... I just have bolt-ons, too :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had a chance to find out the differance between "summer tires" and "all season tire" on a trip from Denver, Co. to Phx., AZ. Right before getting stuck in the snow the "esp" light was flashing and the tires were spinning. I take it when there is no traction the light goes on.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I recently had a chance to find out the differance between "summer tires" and "all season tire" on a trip from Denver, Co. to Phx., AZ. Right before getting stuck in the snow the "esp" light was flashing and the tires were spinning. I take it when there is no traction the light goes on.
Yea, when the front tires are losing traction the light starts to flash, it will not flash and however just remain if there is no traction at all (burnout, ASR is off, etc.) Actually a really unique system compared to most cars. The real crap part is that when it begins to flash, it cuts boost pressure in half or off completely, Kinda sucks if you can't turn off the ASR and get stuck losing boost and possibly the race =/

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
i have falken 452's (or 542's...? something like that)... maybe im just spoiled because i live in florida :D
The heat deff helps. But how do they perform before the afternoon showers? (My dad lives in Orlando so i know how the weather works ;) ) Does the traction change any when the humidity rises?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.