Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I own a 2009 GTI 2 door with 65k miles on it. The other day I was a little street hungry and raced a mazda rx-8. Needless to say I left him in the dust, however about 20 seconds after we stopped racing my car started to shake and the display flashed "Engine fault, Workshop!" I barely made it home the car was clearly misfiring and the exhaust was really strong it smelled like pure gasoline. The car was shaking hard from the misfiring and it was way too loud at idle. THe screen showed the letters EPC and the engine light was flashing. This morning after a few tries I got the car to start and now the EPC is gone but the engine light was on. I drove my car to my dads shop and checked the codes and all it said was random misfires P0300. No major issues. I erased the codes and the car runs perfectly fine now.

Any clues as to what happened?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The car runs fine no matter what. I can punch it and it still runs fine idk what happened.
Somewhere in one of those links it mentioned something about the code could just be that the ecu didn't pick up which cylinder (or coil) was actually misfiring. I just looked briefly though tbh.
V dub quirk maybe? If all your maintenance is up to snuff you might be ok.
Someone more knowledgeable might chime in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhere in one of those links it mentioned something about the code could just be that the ecu didn't pick up which cylinder (or coil) was actually misfiring. I just looked briefly though tbh.
V dub quirk maybe? If all your maintenance is up to snuff you might be ok.
Someone more knowledgeable might chime in?
Yeah I think it's fine. I took it on the freeway just to be safe and really punched it and it's fine. Could have just been a one time thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad coil pack... I suggest checking them out before driving it again. I blew a coil shifting from 3rd to 4th shortly after going apr... immediately misfired, shook, threw check engine light and epc code. Unsure why or how yours would run fine without repair, but I doubt you misfired for no reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts