Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie- but I'ave had my 2009 GTI 2.0 for a year and a half. Currently has 42k on it. Throttle body was replaced last year under warranty. Have had the issues with rough starts for the last 6 months or so. Recently, the check engine light came on, took it to my own mechanic and found it was a heated O2 sensor. Haven't replaced it yet. Last Friday, was driving it, and the EPC light came on, revs got limited to around 3-4000 RPMS, shut it down, and had trouble starting. I don't have any warranty left, and I'm very dissapointed in this car. Anyway, I haven't done the plugs yet. I'm not sure if should do them and the coil packs and hope that's the problem, or take it in. Worst timing right now cus I started a new job, and my second car, and 85 cj-7, is limping along. I've found info on coil pack problems on previous engines, but not much on mine. I seem to have more blackening on the exhaust tips in the last 6 months than before - is that just the gas? A VW mechanic told me that he never heard of any fuel delivery problems, but I may have carbon build up. Any input is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance! By the way, no mods at all. I'm not familiar with chipping or flashing, so if you reference that stuff, please explain!
Tony

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The EPC issue you have is the throttle body wiring harness. There is a TCB out for it and VW should fix it regardless of warranty. Contact your dealer and let them know you think thats what the issue is. I had the exact same problem happen to me around 30k.

·
Registered
313 Posts
u may want to just replace your plugs anyways. luckily u only need 4 and its very cheap and easy to do

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Here's the info on the TSB related to the throttle body wiring harness (EPC Code)

Technical Service Bulletin Transaction No.: 2018652/2
01-09-04 - MIL ON, DTCs P1545, P0121, P0123, P0221 or P0222 Stored in ECM Fault Memory
Release date: Feb 18, 2009
Condition:
MIL ON, DTCs P1545, P0121, P0123, P0221 or P0222 Stored in ECM Fault Memory
Malfunction indicator lamp in instrument cluster is illuminated.
A number of incident memory entries with regard to the throttle valve are stored in the ECM. In most cases, the entries are sporadic.

DTC Description:
P1545 Throttle valve control system malfunction
P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance
P0123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit High
P0221 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Range/Performance
P0222 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Low
Technical Background:
Contact resistance in the ECM wiring - throttle valve.
Production Solution:
Optimized wiring and contacts.
(IE, take it to the dealership)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are these codes my mechanic can pick up? Or do I have to take it to the dealer? Dealer is 45 minutes away...

Here's the info on the TSB related to the throttle body wiring harness (EPC Code)

Technical Service Bulletin Transaction No.: 2018652/2
01-09-04 - MIL ON, DTCs P1545, P0121, P0123, P0221 or P0222 Stored in ECM Fault Memory
Release date: Feb 18, 2009
Condition:
MIL ON, DTCs P1545, P0121, P0123, P0221 or P0222 Stored in ECM Fault Memory
Malfunction indicator lamp in instrument cluster is illuminated.
A number of incident memory entries with regard to the throttle valve are stored in the ECM. In most cases, the entries are sporadic.

DTC Description:
P1545 Throttle valve control system malfunction
P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance
P0123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit High
P0221 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Range/Performance
P0222 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Low
Technical Background:
Contact resistance in the ECM wiring - throttle valve.
Production Solution:
Optimized wiring and contacts.
(IE, take it to the dealership)

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Depends on how its scanned. My guess would be it needs to be scanned with Vag-com... while this issue is going on, do your RPM's sometimes surge up on their own..? If so this is definitely your issue and u should have your car towed to the dealer (after you call them of course). U can try to have your mechanic scan for codes but you may not get anything depending on what they scan with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no surging- when the epc light came on, it felt like it was bogged down. couldn't get past around 3500 rpms. i had the rpm surging thing on grand cherokee, and that was a throttle position sensor that just needed to be cleaned- but it had no lack of power. what the heck is vag-com? sounds like a feminine hygiene patch or something.

Depends on how its scanned. My guess would be it needs to be scanned with Vag-com... while this issue is going on, do your RPM's sometimes surge up on their own..? If so this is definitely your issue and u should have your car towed to the dealer (after you call them of course). U can try to have your mechanic scan for codes but you may not get anything depending on what they scan with.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Connecticut-
is there any local vw/audi clubs? I am too far away from you. A local club will probably have somebody with vagcom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably, but I really don't know. The EPC started Friday on my way making an hour ride to look at a motorcycle. Had to stop a few times to get it to run right. Today was the first time I drove it since then, and no EPC light yet- but this morning it seemed a bit hesitant on the throttle. Lunch time ran ok. Would the coil packs cause this the EPC? I'm going to have to look at my paperwork and see exactly what they replaced. If it was the sensor or the full throttle body. Last oil change I gave the dealer a bad survey (they always say when I leave that they' appreciate if i gave all tens)- they didn't reset the service reminder, didn't put a paper mat on the floor (had garage dust footprints when I got in) and although they washed it, the windows were worse off cus they didn't wipe them down. I felt nitpicky, they are a pretty good dealer, but it's annoying when they ask for 10's when they give me my receipt!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
An epc light could be anything, really. You need to find someone with vagcom. Search for local vw/audi clubs. Sometimes even the techs at vw dealers belong to them and being friends with a vw tech is a lifesaver. They can save you all kinds of money dude! Make friends with your local service dept. and anyone that knows dubs and audis.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You should definately replace the 02 ASAP and scan the car for possible codes so that you know for sure what is wrong with it. Since you are at 42K, if havent been replaced: coil packs and spark plugs. Also Seafoam can help you out. Next time you are at a dealership/auto-shop, get them to check if your PCV is blown as well. If you want the TSB fixes paid for, i would suggest printing out the TSB and walking in to a VW dealership with it in hand - helps minimize hassle.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
If Im not mistake, '09s arent affected by the known bad coil packs or PCV system. Never hurts to get them checked out though. Get it scanned for codes and go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
TJ, whats the verdict..? Any updates for us..?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts