Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Engine Bay Smoke

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Shanehardy4 
#1 ·
I have a burning smell coming from my motor area, that happens everytime I drive my car. But when I drive my car hard, smoke comes from the engine bay.. it looks like from the back. I have a VERY SMALL valve cover gasket leak, I know that could cause smoke... but if that was the problem wouldnt it smoke anytime I drive and not only when I run it hard?

#2 ·
Not necessarily. The harder you run it the more the oil sprays out. I don't know why you'd run it hard when it has issues, though. That's just asking for trouble.

I'm assuming it's oil that you're burning, since you didn't specify.

#3 ·
Not necessarily. The harder you run it the more the oil sprays out. I don't know why you'd run it hard when it has issues, though. That's just asking for trouble.

I'm assuming it's oil that you're burning, since you didn't specify.
I'm not flooring it, dogging the crap out of it.. Just when start getting on about 12 psi entering highway speeds. Yes it is oil. But it wouldnt smoke all the time and only when it was run harder than usual?

#4 ·
I'm not flooring it, dogging the crap out of it.. Just when start getting on about 12 psi entering highway speeds. Yes it is oil. But it wouldnt smoke all the time and only when it was run harder than usual?
Why not fix the valve cover gasket and see if that stops the smoking since you should do that anyway?

#5 ·
Why not fix the valve cover gasket and see if that stops the smoking since you should do that anyway?
Haha, I think he inhaled too much of that smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.