Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I chip my car or re-flash the ECU to get a little more out of the turbo, will this void out my powertrain warranty???

·
Registered
398 Posts
Talk with your dealer where you are going to have service done on the vehicle to get their take. Since the dealer is the place that does the warranty work it would be best to find a dealer locally that is most "tuner friendly".

Opinions seem to vary from the threads I have read in other forums. Shop it around like you would anything else!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also the chips also offer a feature in which you program the flash to seem like it's stock so when the dealer runs diagnostics on your fast it wont be able to detect thw reflash. This feature is also lockable so that only you can change it and noone can touh the settings of your chip

·
Registered
398 Posts
HGTIjuggalo is right with setting it back to stock. I believe only APR has the chip that allows you to set it to stock and a few other things like valet mode, etc. You change modes through the cruise control stock or something.

But the chip is not recognizable by a dealers diagnostic. They will only be able to know it was flashed by driving it and the mechanic going "damn is it possible this fast is too fast?"

I will still check with your local dealers since if you are doing other mods that are visible - intake, exhaust, etc. you don't want a service manager that is going to give you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i went to the dealer the other day to ask them about modifying the car and they basically said i can do it but if something happens to the car because of it i will have to pay out of pocket for all the repairs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
now as Zulu has said the APR chip does have differnt settings to it, the Valet mode which restricts the amount of power your fast can put out. a mode for 91 octane gas, a mode for race gas. there is also a feature which i'll be puttin on my fast once i get it which is in my opinion the greatest security system, you can hand someone your key and they cannot start the car without a passcode that you have selected that is controlled by the cruise control. The chip reflash itself cost about $500 and for each option you add to the programming the price will go up, but APR also ree lifetime software upgrades which is well worth it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
GTIjuggalo said:
there is also a feature which i'll be puttin on my fast once i get it which is in my opinion the greatest security system, you can hand someone your key and they cannot start the car without a passcode that you have selected that is controlled by the cruise control.
I'm actually surprised they don't use that as a selling point. I've had my car stolen before, and that was one of the worst experiences of my life. If I'm somewhere concerning, I'd be pretty interested in having that extra bit of confidence in needing a code to start the car...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
GTIjuggalo said:
there is also a feature which i'll be puttin on my fast once i get it which is in my opinion the greatest security system, you can hand someone your key and they cannot start the car without a passcode that you have selected that is controlled by the cruise control.
I'm actually surprised they don't use that as a selling point. I've had my car stolen before, and that was one of the worst experiences of my life. If I'm somewhere concerning, I'd be pretty interested in having that extra bit of confidence in needing a code to start the car...
what are the performance stats of the Revo vs. APR chip?? are they also the same price? to me it seems Revo is more straight up performance but APR is only behind a little in performance but makes up for it in other features that can be pretty useful.
what would you all suggest?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like i had stted im more than likely going to go with the APR chips, i dont know the number thats the companies claim right off ad but im sure if you look on the boards hard enough that you will be able to find the sites for both chips

·
Registered
89 Posts
hey guys im gettin my new fast tommorow and i want basically a chip and intake... two questions is it true if i do intake then chio instead other way arond ill get more horse?? and the warrenty thing really scared about it cause i need the warenty but really want the chip u guys are saying it really shouldnt be a prob??? im alos leaning towards apr..

·
Registered
9 Posts
don,t forget neuspeed, and the dealers can not void what they cannot see or know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TELL NO ONE ABOUT YOUR CHIP. and if it ever comes up : "Say i no nothing about any software on this car", and they can,t prove a thing!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeh so in my position it would be best to go apr for the stealth aspect hehe but is this neuspeed thing true that dealerships are more flexible towards them?? i would thin k any aftermarket company would be the same>>? so u say neuspeed ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.