Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just thought i'd share with you my experience, in decemeber i got new coil packs and plugs from ECS running ( NGK (BKR7EIX)). I swaped out the old and in with the new. right off the bat, my fule milage went down, i didn't have time to investigate as it wasn't a crazy different. this month i get the check engine light for a day and then it goes away, got this a couple of times... so i decided to send it to the stealership to see what's going on.

after they checked the codes, they came back and told me that the sparkplugs are not for my car, and that the codes were for misfires. so they put in new set of plugs. after i picked it up and drove home, i saw that my fuel milage went back up to what it was before i made the first swap.

i did some looking around and found another thread on here complaning of the same thing after changing his plugs from ECS.

after some diging around, on the NGK website, when i search for plugs for my car, it does not give me the plugs that ECS was selling. i did find the plug on their website but it wasn't recomended for my 07 GTI. WTF???

now i'm getting ready to give ECS a good piece of my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Is your car tuned..?

The only thing I can think of is those NGK Iridium plugs run "one stage cooler". I have heard these plugs are best for tuned cars and if you not tuned it could be why you have some misfires.

I could be totally wrong though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
+1 to Nuggzie
I run these in my car but i have APR's stage 2 software installed. After installing them the car seemed to feel a little bit smoother and there was a negligable increase in MPG. The entire point of these plugs is to run them with a tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah my car is not tuned, i haven't done anythign to it at all. but even if that's the case, i would of expected some sort of descriptions stating these plugs are not for direct oem application.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
yeah my car is not tuned, i haven't done anythign to it at all. but even if that's the case, i would of expected some sort of descriptions stating these plugs are not for direct oem application.
I agree. Your best bet is to pick up the VW branded (NGK) plugs. Or grab yourself a stage 1 tune. I vote tune.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree. Your best bet is to pick up the VW branded (NGK) plugs. Or grab yourself a stage 1 tune. I vote tune.
I second that. I have an APR stage 1 tune (plus intake and catback, but really not "required" for stage 1) and in my opinion this is how the GTI should have came from the factory.

stage 1 = lot more smiles and giggles as I hit the gas

I was looking at getting those exact same plugs plus the "red cap" coils for the spring. This is actually the first time I have heard something bad about these plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.