Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. My 2002 1.8T is at about 55k miles on it right now and I'm looking into getting a new timing belt in by 60k. I've seen on ECS tuning that they offer an aftermarket kit thats about just over $100, a big difference from the OEM kit priced at over $300. Is there any difference between them?

·
Registered
191 Posts
No idea. I'm running the ECS kit on my car. 10k miles on it so far, still looks new. It's a contitech belt if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i would just go aftermarket. usually oem and aftermarket is the same, just rebranded. if its a Continental belt, i think that's pretty much same as oem.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
i would just go aftermarket. usually oem and aftermarket is the same, just rebranded. if its a Continental belt, i think that's pretty much same as oem.
I would have to agree. I will always go aftermarket. I purchased a dipstick off ECS Tuning (Mine was completely cracked and broken.) for only $4.50. The official OEM/VW/AUDI dipstick was $25.50. I had to keep reading the descriptions because I did not believe the price difference was that much. (But it really was) The 4 dollar dipstick was the exact same one as the broken one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hah that's it. Continental! I bought the full kit with water pump, and all. It has the metal impeller, and everything was OEM, or better quality.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And also really quick, even thought my belt is from 2002 it only has 54k on it, so will I be alright for the next couple of weeks until the the kit is delivered or am I past the belts limit for age? I know its recomended to be changed at 60K although the manual I believe says 100K. Is the belt more affected by time or by mileage?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He has the Ecs kit.

Belt goes more on mileage than time, though it could be a factor.
Car had 34k when I bought it in 2011. So it was going on 9 years with very easy driving. Since then I've put 10k a year roughly. If it matters. I'm replacing it very soon anyways. Just has to last me a few weeks or a month. I had a guy on a message board make it seem like I was driving a ticking time bomb with its age.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Car had 34k when I bought it in 2011. So it was going on 9 years with very easy driving. Since then I've put 10k a year roughly. If it matters. I'm replacing it very soon anyways. Just has to last me a few weeks or a month. I had a guy on a message board make it seem like I was driving a ticking time bomb with its age.
If the belt looks fine visually, you'll be fine.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i got my TB kit on mjmautohaus.com

cheaper then ecstuning

and its still good with about 55k miles on the belt

plan to do mine again this spring

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
i got my TB kit on mjmautohaus.com

cheaper then ecstuning

and its still good with about 55k miles on the belt

plan to do mine again this spring
They failed to include the roller for my hydraulic tensioner, screw them.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
They never done me wrong.

Except for that time that they told me the had the Koni FSD in stock but they did not.

From my Note 2

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heres my belt as is now. Its pretty fresh. Its firm yet still rubbery. I was able to make a shallow indent with my fingernail and it reformed smooth again. The teeth also appear to be free of cracks and brittleness. What do you guys think? Is this possible for a 10 year old belt, or was it maybe replaced before I bought it at 38k (unlikely)?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
No it's an old belt.

If you spend the 100$ now, you could save yourself thousands over the next 60k miles from the current one breaking. It's worth it to replace it. Plus you know exactly when it was done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No it's an old belt.

If you spend the 100$ now, you could save yourself thousands over the next 60k miles from the current one breaking. It's worth it to replace it. Plus you know exactly when it was done.
Well I'm getting it looked at by my mechanic on Monday. He's an automotive engineer so he'll know what to do. I just wanted to know if it's most likely okay to drive for the next two weeks or so. If it's not then I have to get a kit from the dealer and it will be ridiculously expensive. I know belts can give even if they look fine, but I thought belts go more on mileage from what I've been researching since you informed me of it. The only thing that age does to a belt is makes it brittle from shrinking, and this belt showed no signs of it. So with its mileage and the state of the rubber should i be okay for the next few weeks till the kit comes in?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts