Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this beautiful onramp today. Very well banked tight 3/4 loop freeway entrance. Marked 20, able to take it about 60, thought I might pass out from the G's. ;D

At any rate, near the end I get this alert beeping from the car, and an ominous message comes up on the dash, "oil pressure low shut off car immediately to prevent damage," or something to that effect. AHHH! It went away about a second after the corner, so I thought I'd post if anyone had ever seen that on hard drives (I was sure hoping not, though!).

Get home, check the oil, doesn't even register on the dipstick. Shite. Picking up oil tomorrow. Point, though, is that I had the 10k change done a couple months ago, and I'm only at 12k now. I figured, new car, I'll check every once in a while. Not any more.

Could be they filled short on the oil change. I'll start checking right after from now on.

Could be It's eating oil, but no smell, no puddles, etc. I know VWs eat oil, but ??!

Anyone else have feedback?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I do my oil changes myself. I make sure to fill it to the top of the "ok" mark every time. This last time when I was draining my oil (20K miles), only 3 quarts came out. It always takes 5 quarts to fill it up. Soooo, I'm thinking the car uses a bit of oil. I don't know if this is normal though. I mentioned it to the service guy at my dealership and he didn't say anything. Anyway, I know it's not leaking, so it must be burning. I also use full synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40.

Any enlightenment on this phenomenon would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Even my MKIV uses a quart of oil a month. Just the nature of the 2L engine I think, and these turbos run hot. I believe you are supposed to use synthetic oil, which is a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
MicMoor77 said:
I do my oil changes myself. I make sure to fill it to the top of the "ok" mark every time. This last time when I was draining my oil (20K miles), only 3 quarts came out. It always takes 5 quarts to fill it up. Soooo, I'm thinking the car uses a bit of oil. I don't know if this is normal though. I mentioned it to the service guy at my dealership and he didn't say anything. Anyway, I know it's not leaking, so it must be burning. I also use full synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40.

Any enlightenment on this phenomenon would be much appreciated.
When I first got the car, it used oil for a little bit (about 7000 miles). Then it stopped and whenever I check it, it would be at the full mark. Now, at 20,000 miles, I checked the dipstick and the oil level was halfway between the minimum and maximum mark. Apparently mine is using oil too, but I haven't notice any leakage anywhere. I never had a car use oil before, so I am at a loss for any explanation too. It's a little disconcerting as i believed this engine to be extremely efficient and top of the line.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
i am telling you it is the fasts lol

in all my years being a mechanic, there are time yu will burn oil, depending how often you run hard and hight rates of speed. just like uncledude said your turbos are how and even though you do not see it that much, in some cases you will burn oil with the turbo and in the engine.

just a little knowledge i have picked up working on 5 tons a hemmts (army trucks)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Actually, I have never owned a car that didn't use oil. I think it is quite normal. I had one car that burned a quart every week, it was a 1967 Impala - now that wasn't normal! There was a beautifully scented blue cloud that followed the car :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
uncle dude said:
Actually, I have never owned a car that didn't use oil. I think it is quite normal. I had one car that burned a quart every week, it was a 1967 Impala - now that wasn't normal! There was a beautifully scented blue cloud that followed the car :p
:) That's great !!! I know there are a lot of Chevy haters in here, but every car I owned in high school and college had the 2.8 or 3.1 liter V6 that Chevy used in a LOT of their 80's and 90's cars, and I always liked that engine. The rest of the car was usually pretty crappy, but that engine never failed me once, and never used oil. Even my GMC pickup with the 305 engine never used oil. I had no idea that turbos cause engines to use oil. That makes me feel a little better though.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
he oil is just to cool the turbo down that is all. when you apply heat to a liquid it will eather burn (fire) or eviporate (like boiling water) not that fast though but it is the same concept

·
Registered
285 Posts
Our FSI 2.0 engine loses a lot of oil because it's high compression,it leaks because of the pcv valve failure especially if your stage 2 and because our engines run hot. O0

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please Help asap!!! ..::Aftermarket gauges::..

I have a 06 gti and have been having trouble with the oil consumption.... it eats a lot!
The dealer has told me that it is supposed to eat at least 1qt. per 1000 miles.
I am at this present moment installing aftermarket gauges (ie. oil,water,tach and boost)
My problem is that I am new to the forums (I try searching before posting,so please don't bite my head off)
I need to find a site that has a spec sheet of where to find the Best locations for mounting of the senors for all
of the above gauges...

Gauges are in the pillars, mounted in the car and the wires/hoses are run into engine compartment.
unfortunatelly I am on a time schedule I have someone helping me but we are doing this project out of town at his house
and I need to be able to return home tonight before 3pm

PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Please Help asap!!! ..::Aftermarket gauges::..

Uh, 1qt per 1000 miles? If that were true I would have run completely out of oil several times over between oil changes. Unless you have something wrong the car shouldn't even require you to check the oil between purchase and 5,000 mile checkup.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Today I noticed a lil oil spray around the filler cap, I'm thinking of changing the PCV just to CYA... I may avoid stage II :-\

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i have had mine capped off (i dont know if i said that right maybe i should just say sealed better) and have not had any problems with it leaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am also eating oil... The reaction I got from the service dept was that it was normal for the engine to use 1/2 quart per 1k miles. I have 31k miles and do mostly highway driving using 5w/40 fully synthetic. The end result is that I am to bring the car in every 1k miles and have the dealer check the oil and measure how much it is using... We'll see what happens

Anyone going to spring for an extended warranty to cover a new engine or turbo?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just hit 14k miles and had to finish off a second qt. of oil since 10k. I called the dealer in disbelief. I got the same resonse as alstare5,

alstare5 said:
I have a 06 gti and have been having trouble with the oil consumption.... it eats a lot!
The dealer has told me that it is supposed to eat at least 1qt. per 1000 miles. ...
"The industry standard is 1 qt. of oil per 1000 miles"

I totally agree with the following,

Thalo said:
Uh, 1qt per 1000 miles? If that were true I would have run completely out of oil several times over between oil changes. Unless you have something wrong the car shouldn't even require you to check the oil between purchase and 5,000 mile checkup.
I've had 70's mopar engines with known ring issues burn less oil!

Their solution is to get an oil change at the dealership (at my expense, of course), and keep a log with them about oil added for the next while, with several visits for them to check my dipstick... They then send a report to VW to decide what to do. I'll likely go through this, but wow - so much for buying a new car to not worry about maintenance issues!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts